A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! (not-even-a-beginner) but really want to make a quilt!  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nighthawk
« on: May 12, 2012 07:36:16 PM »

okay, so I moved into this old house annnnd a lot of blankets, pillowcases, etc were left behind. I also found tons of scrap material and this odd wooden hoop ( this is the best I can describe it) thing, that I was told can be used for quilting. So seeing as I like to do work with my hands, I would really like to learn how to  make a quilt of my own. I know I know, there is tons of beginner patterns and the wonderful resource of the internet. I have checked out ""beginner instructions"" and all kinds of beginner info however , I'm still completely lost!:( As I don't understand most of the terms or half the tools ( or most) of the tools they are talking about. If anyone could point me in the direction of extremely simple, basic, easy to understand instruction of how to go about making a quilt and what is needed it would be super appreciated. I'm not looking for anything fancy.( I'm a little thick headed and way too analytical so I seriously need SIMPLE instructions). even a glossary of the basic terms would be helpful. so atleast I could understand a bit more. I know this may seem like a dumb thing to ask with so much info available, but I've been reading and surfing the net for awhile and figured this would be faster. any help at all I would be grateful for. Smiley

also I apologize already if this post is in the wrong spot.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012 08:09:55 PM by nighthawk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrendaDawn
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012 08:36:40 PM »

It sounds like you might want to start off... small. Something not real challenging! You can start like they did in the olden days. Use a piece of cardboard (cereal box) as your pattern then draw on the material around the cardboard. Use 2 different colored fabrics and cut out on the lines you drew. Start with what we call a 9 Patch, which is 9 squares of fabric cut say 3" square. Sew 3 of them together, one in the middle and two on each side. Do that 2 more times. You'll have 3 sets of 3. Now sew the top 3 to the middle 3, then sew the middle 3 to the bottom 3. Now you have completed one square... You can border this with solid strips or keep going by connecting another 9 patch. You can use 2 colors or 3 up to 9 colors. Play around with different layouts after cutting. You could have 1 solid in the center and 8 prints to 'border,' also 4 prints with 5 solids would make a 'checkerboard.' The fun is endless with as many colors of fabric. Your fabric should all be of the same weight.
When you quilt you need a backing (any (matching) fabric) and some batting or a light weight blanket. I made a baby quilt on my kitchen table years ago which was my first real attempt of quilting. Place your backing fabric right side down, then add the batting, and then lay out quilt top right side facing up. Smooth each piece as you go. Now start quilting (tiny stitches) from the center and work your way out and around the quilt.
as for the wooden hoop you found... you can use it also. Lay out you fabric as discribed and slide the hoop to the center of the quilt. After quilting all thats inside the hoop, lay your fabric out, smoothing it, again then hoop the next section close to the quilting you just did. Keep doing that, I'd say in a circular pattern and you'll almost be done after several hooping.
Sounds like you have alot of material to work with. Use the small pieces first since you only need 3" squares. save the rest for triangles or something else you see later. Have fun and let us know your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012 08:50:08 AM »

We have a thread about starting to quilt, you might find some good tips in there!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6260.0

I agree that something like a 9 patch might be a good project to start with. There are so many options that you might want to get a good beginning quilting book and read through and see what you want to do. And you can always do a small project to start, like a mini quilt for the wall, a table runner, a placemat or even a mug rug or coaster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
nighthawk
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012 12:05:16 PM »

Thank you both very much! I found some more " beginner" tips which sound like they could help too. this makes it sound a little easier to understand, I just want to sew and create ! lol. And now I know what I can do with that hoop. I like the idea of "" old fashioned" . I will start out with this I think and see where it goes. thanks again for you help. Smiley Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Copy Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon SD770 IS Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...