A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ATC Bases - featuring Elmer's products  (Read 1836 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 16, 2012 09:31:40 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the tools and supplies used in this project, explore Elmer's website here.

ATC Bases - featuring Elmer's products

Here is a fast and easy way to make up some ATC bases! (If you aren't sure what an ATC is, this will help.) These ATC blanks are perfect starting points for creating ATCs.  Once you have them done, all you need to do is embellish and decorate!  Having a pile of these bad boys done will save you time in the future, so you can just grab one and start the fun!  Once decorated, you can keep your little works of art, or trade them in our Ongoing ATC Swap!

To start, make yourself a template that is ATC sized (2.5" by 3.5") using an old food packaging box (like a cracker box) or other thick paper.  For mine, I used a back of an old greeting card (I used the front for a different project and kept the left over parts to use for ATC bases).  X-ACTO's 9" Paper Trimmer has a wonderful measuring area on it, which makes it so it it easy to mark your desired size and then cut away! (Watch out, it's super sharp, too!  Great for cutting thick paper, but not great for your fingers, so keep 'em away!)

Once you have a template, it will make marking the size for your other papers super easy!

These ATC bases that I made have three layers to them.  They have an old book page on top, an old card or food packaging box in the middle, and a piece of scrapbooking paper on the back.  The end result will be a nice and sturdy ATC!

So gather your supplies of old cards or food packaging boxes, scraps of scrapbooking paper, and book pages.  I like to use light colored scrapbooking paper for the back so that its pretty on the back as well on the front, and so that when you write your vital information on the back it stands out better.  Using your ATC template, mark the size you need  to cut on your different papers and cut out however many ATCs you want to make.  Its great to premake a bunch of these and then you will have them on hand and save you time in the future.  

Grab your handy dandy Elmer's Craftbond All Purpose Glue Stick and apply it to one side of your middle piece and then apply your bookpage to it, trying to get it aligned as best as you can.  Do the same to the other side of your middle piece and apply your scrapbook paper.

Now that you have your three pieces of paper smooshed and glued together, its time to make 'em fancy! Elmer's Designer Tape is such a fast and easy way to add some flare to your projects.  They come in so many different varieties of patterns to choose from!  

Grab whichever Designer Tape appeals to you and add a length of tape to one edge, making sure that only half of of the width is on the one side.  (Can you tell what old book I'm using for this project? hehe)

Fold over the tape to the back and cut off the extra length that is hanging off the sides.  I'm using X-ACTO 5" Precision Tip Scissors.  They are super sharp and great for these small projects!  Go around each edge and do the same thing; add a length of tape, apply it halfway and fold over the edge, and cut off the extra.

Here is the front and back of the final result!  Cute, huh?

Once you have your lovely pile of ATC bases, you can embellish to your heart's desire!  Stamp it, add paper and other embellishments, paint it, whatever!  BTW Elmer's Craftbond Quick Dry Dual Tip Glue Pen is great for adding embellishments (like jewels and buttons) and Painter's Paint Pens work wonders at adding backgrounds and designs (and they come in so many wonderful colors, too!).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012 11:02:54 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012 11:43:20 AM »

Those are wonderful backgrounds. I can't believe you cut that book! Ha! At least it went to a wonderful cause. ATC's! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012 01:23:26 PM »

Those designer tapes are great! Made your bases snazzier.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012 02:13:43 PM »

What a good idea!  I love the tape on the edges.  It creates such a pretty frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012 07:25:47 PM »

jilly, you're an ATC ace! It's a good idea to make some of these to have on hand when you're struck with a moment of ATC brilliance Smiley. I love the tape frame. Nice touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012 08:54:54 PM »

What a great idea! The tapes make such nice frames.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012 09:02:45 AM »

Jillybeans--you know I love your ATCs and your swaps!  I might need to join the next round just to try out those wonderful tape edges!

To be honest, I have never even seen the tapes...but now I want all of them! Cheesy

I can see so many other applications as well...now...the big question is: are you going to swap out those wonderful ATCs? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012 09:40:14 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Jillybeans--you know I love your ATCs and your swaps!  I might need to join the next round just to try out those wonderful tape edges!

To be honest, I have never even seen the tapes...but now I want all of them! Cheesy

I can see so many other applications as well...now...the big question is: are you going to swap out those wonderful ATCs? Cheesy

You should totally join us, alwaysinmyroom!  And I totally will be swapping out those ATCs.  They've been sitting there waiting for the right person.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Killam Creative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012 11:14:49 AM »

Wow, these look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You don't make it with your hands.
You form it with your hands.
You make it with your mind.
                Edgar Tolson, 1971

Pinterest
Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Combat Annoying Static With These Quick Fixes!
Stripes Are The Hottest New Spring Trend
6 Must-Have Shorts You Need For Spring
5 Ways To Wear Suspender Tights
Ways To Wear Trendy Statement Suits
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...