A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need some advice for drafting a pattern  (Read 937 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

time
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2012 09:42:03 PM »

As far as I know you can't buy a plushie of this anywhere. I looked. Cry

I've decided to make my first plushie. My son just picked up Warp for the ps3. I want to make him a plushie of the alien.  Can anyone give me a tip for drafting the pattern? Where do I start? Will I need to make a muslin? The alien is basically a cylinder with a bigger end on one side and elongated cylinders for arms legs and antennas. Are these shapes going to be hard to sew?. It *looks* simple but that can be deceptive. I've been sewing for a few years and have drafted simple clothes projects before. Also can anyone think of a way to get that transparent shell look to the outer body or would that unnecessarily complicate things?

Forgot to add that I have been playing around with craft paper  to draft a pattern and am having trouble working out fitting the pieces together and being abe to tell if i'm  going to be able to make the joins of the limbs to the body round like they are in the picture.

here's a pic:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012 09:50:14 PM by time » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012 08:56:27 AM »

I'd be willing to try and draft a pattern for you.  As far as material/fabric goes, I would go w/something that has a shine to it.  Let me know what you want to do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012 05:19:06 PM »

I really just need to know if I'm going about this the wrong way. Where do you start when you draft your patterns? Do you start with  individual shapes? Should I be starting with how everything goes together? Argh.

As for material I was thinking about using some thin pvc type material. Like the flannel backed stuff you can buy at Joann's. The stuff sold near the outdoor and upholstery section. I think it's like a type of tablecloth material?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012 05:54:14 PM »

While I've only ever drafted bodice patterns from start to finish, I'm currently working on doing a couple plushies with my own patterns.

I started with my sketch of the whale & notated it with lengths, widths, circumferences & the like. Once I had that I started plotting out very basic shapes in scale on a piece of paper. So if I wanted my tail to be 12" wide by 6" long, I drew out the square, marked out half the circumference of the base of the body where it met the tail & drew out the shape within that square. Since it's a loose pattern, I didn't account for losing width once it's stuffed, but if I were I'd probably just add a 1/2" or so to either side. For the more rounded body, I plotted out where I wanted the seams on my sketch & divided up the circumference between the belly, two sides & the top piece. Then the same idea of plotting points & drawing shapes.

So far as paper piecing it, I'm not a fan of the brown craft paper for pattern drafting anything small, I prefer just white printer paper, I feel like I can flex it better in small sizes. Once I had my pieces I just kind of jury-rigged them together with tape to get the basic shape/sizes. I've never been one to worry about seams fitting exactly in paper form, so for your arm troubles I would draft a rough paper pattern then try it with some scrap fabric.

To be honest, I'm really knew at doing my own patterns, though I've done a bit with pre-patterned stuff so I just go with my gut so far as the details go. Worst that could happen? You safety pin together a muslin & make adjustments from there.

I'm going to be grading my whale pattern up tonight & hopefully doing some sewing, so I'll update this if I find any problems/wins for my method. Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
GlindaBunny
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012 11:18:22 PM »

I'm not extremely experienced with making patterns, but I have made some stuffed animals and clothes from my own design.  I've never used an actual store bought pattern.  I'm lazy and irresponsible like that.  Smiley

When I'm making a stuffed animal, I first sketch how I want it to look and where I want the seams to be.

Then I draw what I think the flat pieces of material should be that would fit together into the 3-D shape.  Because not all edges will have the same shape as the edges they match up to, I use a piece of string to make sure that the bottom of a duck, for example, will match up to the sides, even though the curves in the pieces of fabric are slightly different.

If you want the joints to be round, make sure the holes in the yellow shell are round where they attach to the limbs.  If the hole was a slit instead of a circle, the joint would be much more flat.

Even using a thin material for a "see through" look would be a pain, I think.  It'll show the stuffing, not the black body, and if you leave it unstuffed, it'll be saggy.  One option is to use a thin cotton for the shell and to paint (in very very watery acrylic) the body onto the yellow shell so it looks like you can see the shadow of the body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deefault
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012 04:48:37 AM »

did you manage to make this guy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Bragg or Tamari
What Is Bok Choy
How to Cook Rice in a Pot
Learn Which Thai Chili to Use
How to Prepare Pappadams
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...