A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kids Summer Art Camp- Need Project Ideas  (Read 483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: April 15, 2012 05:44:28 PM »

I'm part of a local art guild and last year I was roped into helping conduct a kids day camp. We called it the "Green Art Camp" and even had the local summer school join us several days over the 2 weeks that it ran. We decided to conduct it again this summer since it was such a hit last year.

I'm looking for crafts that take 30 minutes to an hour and appeal to 3rd and 4th graders (most of the crafts I've found are for toddlers and would be entirely too simple). The supplies can't be outrageously expensive because we expect around 30 kids most days.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide because the camp is in June and I definitely don't think I have enough projects, even though I've been looking since December. Thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012 06:02:48 PM »

I've been thinking about pitching something like this for a volunteer thing I've started doing at the local hospital's children ward. I haven't talked to the organizers about it, so I don't know if it would be oK or if you'd have to do it with normal markers, or even if it would work with normal markers, but I think it would be a ton of fun. They could do shirts, bandanas, scarves, pillow cases.

http://blog.sharpie.com/2008/11/sharpie-to-tie-dye-for/

Most people have Sharpies or other markers around their homes I'm sure they could donate or loan, & rubbing alcohol is reasonable.

I feel like I should note that I'm terrible at knowing good crafts for certain age groups, so I may be completely wrong on if your age group would enjoy it, but it's worth a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
anafelix
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012 07:49:36 AM »

I've seen this around, but totally hadn't even thought about it. This is a great idea though! We did tie-dye (the real deal with dyes and t-shirts) with a smaller group and they went crazy for it, some kids even came back a few hours later with more shirts. I definitely think this is age appropriate, and much much cheaper than traditional tie-dye (and cleaner!!).

And I don't know much about volunteering at a hospital, but I know for our organization the kids camp was a great way to bring younger people in, get them excited about art, and bring parents in that hadn't even heard about the gallery. Anything you do with kids is great community outreach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JS

** 29 AGAIN?? ** Talk about recycling!! **

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012 03:36:58 PM »

Painting rocks (paper weights) and crafts that involve pinecones are popular with my sons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
Yizzimindi
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012 07:51:58 PM »

I still remember when I was in school one day the art teacher brought her mum in, we made stuffed dice from squares of felt which we decorated with more felt and glue. We were also taught how to weave and made a little flappy pocket bag. Big plastic needles for yarn are much easier for kids to thread, especially if you put a bit of glue on the end first, also they are much less likely to stab themselves =P . If you think they will have trouble poking the needle through the felt you can use a hole punch to make the holes for them. You could also make teddy and doll shapes from canvas, get the kids to decorate them with paints and teach them to make their own toys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hanging Out With Ms. Louisiana
How Andrea DeLuca Stays Bikini-Ready All Year
Best Summer Buys for Busy Moms
Liya Kebede Reveals Her "Fast as Possible" Red Carpet Routine at the Cannes Film Festival
Best Toners For All Skin Types
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...