A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Hoopla Round 6 Gallery & Discussion  (Read 26132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pennydreadfull

Craft or Die \m/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2012 07:24:38 PM »

I came home to some Royal Mail yesterday from rebeccajay!!  A pic of the queen on my package made it feel sooo classy hehehe!!

Becky said this was only the second hoop she's made and I am freaking impressed!!  My theme was 'bats' and I love how they form a heart!  The two felt ones really make it awesome and I ESPECIALLY love how there's only two of them, I am a total fan of asymmetry!  I hate when things are all evened out or center, etc.

Thank you so, so much rebeccajay!  I love my bats!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters - Francisco Goya

Always willing to do personal swaps!
http://pinterest.com/jamietoohey/
Instagram - jamietoohey
sweetyetevil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2012 07:37:37 PM »

I tend to spend more than 2 hours on any hoops I have made. There are a few that seemed to take me forever to do. Color changes, new stitches, tricky pattern wearing off also play a role. I usually do no smaller than a 6 inch hoop but on average I am doing 8 inch hoops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mousee23

Not all Californians live near the beach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2012 11:34:05 PM »

I am blown away by all the cleverness.
Yes,June 1(my 42 b-day) is perfect to start again.
I couldn't find a pattern that I wanted.So, I made one with a chart maker.It seems to be working out.I am so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is pain,Highness~Dred Pirate Roberts<br />My Chatterings http://mousee23.blogspot.com/<br />http://www.wists.com/mousee23/<br />http://pinterest.com/mousee23/
BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2012 04:45:15 AM »

The bat hoop is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frugal Living Swap Rd 6: Sent!
Helena Puck
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2012 04:55:10 AM »

Great bat hoop! Love the heart shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2012 10:30:08 AM »

I actually messaged Averia privately, but I am going to jump in at this point.   I hope I don't spark a fight.   Undecided

If we DO add time frames, it should be varied based on what type of hoopla you make: machine-stitched, cross stitched, quilted, appliqued, or hand stitched.  They all take different times, and it wouldn't be fair to insist that a person who machine embroiders take the same amount of time as a person who cross stitches.

I think the real issue here is not "time", or even "skill level".  I think that the problem is that there needs to be a more firm communication with regard to what exactly a person is expecting to send or receive.

If we aren't sure if something we have in mind will be well-received, message your partner with your idea.  You can still surprise them by not telling exactly what you are doing.  You could message with a link to a couple of  images saying "would you like something like this...or this?"

I guess what I am trying to say is that if we are unhappy with something we received, we need to be honest about it (in a private message). If we are unhappy because we were expecting a full fledged copy of the Sistine Chapel and we got the words "I heart the Sistine Chapel"- find out why they made what they did.   There might be a reason for it.  Do you have an "I heart fluffy bunnies" on your pinterest? 

No one wants to send out things that are inferior, or that will make their partner unhappy.  No one wants to tell their partner "hey, what you sent...I didn't like it".  Sometimes there are misunderstandings, or things in "real life" that cause issues. 

There is a reason why every swap says "communicate with your partner".  They also say "if you have a problem, communicate with your organizer".   If you feel you got a raw deal, but don't want to hurt your partner's feelings...PM the organizer.   The organizer will check it out, and either say "you expected too much" or "you're right.  I'll mention it to your partner"...  Not that the organizer wants to do that, either,  but... isn't it much better to be honest to your partner- in a nice way?

I don't know what the "answer" is.  But, I do know that communication is going to be more helpful than adding a 3-4 hour crafting time requirement to a swap where crafting times can vary so much depending on what you do.

Maybe adding more details to out list of themes?  Perhaps instead of "buttons", it could be "I really want a rainbow made out of buttons"

Just my two pennies on it.  Hope I didn't make everyone angry with me Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2012 11:16:50 AM »

See the time frame thing is such a grey area. When I am learning a new stitch, like i did on the lady of guadelupe hoop, it took me almost 5 hours. (I am not the fastest embroiderer), but when I have to create a design or do words (i SUCK at words) it can take 3-4 hours. Trying to imagine what a 2-3 hour hoop looks like from me is rather terrifying ha ha. My other crafting skills, like sewing, I am more efficient and do it faster than most, but embroidery i am rather slow, and it may not look like it in the finished product. I think "send a high quality hoop" is a better descriptor than 2-3 hours. I think that is why the other swaps have point totals/price totals.....

Do i make ANY sense?

and dewshinesdopp- VERY well said!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2012 04:48:25 PM »

There is a reason why every swap says "communicate with your partner".  They also say "if you have a problem, communicate with your organizer".   If you feel you got a raw deal, but don't want to hurt your partner's feelings...PM the organizer.   The organizer will check it out, and either say "you expected too much" or "you're right.  I'll mention it to your partner"...  Not that the organizer wants to do that, either,  but... isn't it much better to be honest to your partner- in a nice way?

This is craftster - nobody is honest with their partner when they don't like something Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpopsicles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2012 05:13:26 PM »

Here are a couple more pics of the fantastic hoop johnson.mom2two sent to me. I haven't hung it yet, but I'm holding it up on the red wall where it's going to go.

And a closer shot:

On another note, I sent out to faemystique this weekend, so her hoop should be there sometime this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helena Puck
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2012 05:23:16 PM »

She's going to look great against that red wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Does American Design Compare European
Why Hire a Landscape Architect
How to Avoid the Worst Design Mistakes
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...