A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Block Wonders  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Padester
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012 06:44:22 PM »

I have wanted to try this for a while, but it seems intimidating to me - don't you have to fussy-cut the fabric so you get the same image in all the triangles?  And then sewing all the triangles together . . . eeek!  They look gorgeous, though.  Sigh.  I'll try them one day . . . maybe . . .

The book explains it really well, basically you do some math to figure out the repeats of the fabric, then cut it to certain widths and slice it. Not that bad if you go step by step!

http://www.amazon.com/One-Block-Wonders-Fabric-One-Of-A-Kind-Quilts/dp/1571203222

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-n-Whackipedia-10th-Anniversary-Bethany-Reynolds/dp/1574329650/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334538057&sr=1-3

eta: I actually have the stack and whack, so the one block wonders technique may be different, but similar results!

Thanks!  I will have to look into these . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012 06:20:26 AM »

Thanks for explaining MareMare!  Both of these fabrics had a 12" repeat, 4 yards were used to get 2 stacks of 6.  Then those were cut into three 4" strips that were used to cut the triangles.  Each stack of 6 triangles becomes a hexagon.  I wasn't here for the cutting, but Mom says it went really fast and was easy.  She has been sewing clothes since I was little, so cutting fabric is old news to her, I think she was glad to do something where the pieces weren't all different!
The 4 yards worth of hexagons made either 3 or 4 extra, with a 10" border this quilt is  aprox 72x90 finished.

If anyone is wanting to try it, but is intimidated don't be.  Small flaws and mistakes are hidden REALLY well in this pattern.  Once it gets light out I will take some pics of individual hexagons that aren't perfect so you can see.  My one tip is don't sew all 6 triangles into hexagons, make half hexagons, then lay it out and you can make straight rows to sew together instead of trying to join hexagons which I'm told is difficult to impossible to do by machine.  Mom's little trick she tried with the second quilt - the tropical fabric was slightly over 4 yards, so after she cut the first 6 12" strips she trimmed an inch off, so the next 6 12" repeats were slightly different, ensuring that there was no possible way for any two hexagons to be identical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012 09:51:52 AM »

Thanks for all the tips Lisa.  They look great.  I'm inspired to try it sometime. 

Anyone know if this is similar to the snowflake quilt method (I have a book that was my Grandma's somewhere about it)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
bowlordie
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012 11:21:32 AM »

it's so cool how the original pattern gets lost in the design
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Garnish the Platter with Turkey Leftovers
How to Remove the Breast Meat of a Turkey
How to Remove the Wings of a Holiday Turkey
How to Separate the Dark Meat in a Turkey
How to Measure the Temperature of a Holiday Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...