A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a square starting from the corner?  (Read 421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mindyyy
« on: February 25, 2010 07:34:09 AM »

I'm trying to make a baby blanket for my aunt's baby, which is due in a 1-2 months (depends if they induce labor early), and I want to knit it starting from the corner, and I really like the look of yarn-over increases on the sides. However, when I knit it up with a YO on both the left and right sides, it only made a 45 degree angle, not the 90 degree angle necessary to end up with a square. Would adding another increase fix this problem, and if so, what kind of increase would you suggest so there isn't a hole other than the one created by the YO? If not, what would you suggest? I don't want some fancy lacy thing, just a big square that won't roll up on itself. Help please?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010 07:55:18 AM »

Are you doing it in stockinette or garter? The simplest pattern, a version of 'grandma's favorite dishcloth', you YO at the beginning of every row and do it in garter. And in garter it won't curl. They can end up just a little off square, but pulling and stretching them can get them where you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
mindyyy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010 08:25:47 AM »

Stockinette. I like the look better, and I found that it didn't curl the way I was doing it, but doing a YO at the beginning of every row resulted in a 45 degree angle, rather than the necessary 90 degree angle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010 04:17:26 PM »

Okay, that''s why; garter st makes more of a square as the sts and rows are nearly the same gauge. Stockinette is more like 4 sts to 6 rows or so. So every 6th row you may need to do another increase. After the yarnover do a M1, and also on the next purl row so you keep the same number of increases on both sides. You might need to experiment a little to see if that works out, or every 4th row or 7th and 8th or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Banksy Art and Its Lessons on Leadership
Chris Hinkle on How Music Education Applies in Product Design Career
Dungeons & Dragons Tabletop Gaming Explained
Top 100 Pokemon: Blastoise
Top 100 Pokemon: Charizard
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...