A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Movie Knits  (Read 83655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2004 09:42:55 AM »

Ever since I've become a rather obsessed knitter, I've been inspired by knitted things in random movies.  It's probably a bad habit, since I now tend to flip through my books, trying to figure out how to make things... and end up having to do lots of rewinding to figure out what's going on in the movie.  This all started when I watched "Death to Smoochy"- Catherine Keener wears some awesome scarves & hats!
This morning I watched "I Capture the Castle" and found myself drooling over the fabulous knitted things the characters wore. The movie's set in England somewhere in the 20's or 30's & is chock full of hats & sweaters.  For all of an hour I imagined myself frolicking about town in similar knitwear. (Though after consulting the "Vintage Knits" book, I'm going to have to drastically improve my knitting skills before any such thing can happen Smiley )  
Has anyone else been inspired by knitting or crochet in movies??? Something besides "Harry Potter" & "Dr. No"....  ( I started knitting to make myself a Harry Potter scarf. It's been over a year & I've made a billion things, but no  Potter scarf yet! Argh!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
emling
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004 06:19:34 AM »

There is a book called 'Hollywood Knits" that has a few patterns that are similar to or inspired by movie knit creations. I guess the author has done costume work for the movies---one of the designs is Keanu Reeves' mesh sweater from the latest "Matrix" movie.  While the patterns are quite nice, there's nothing particularly 'Hollywood' about them to me other than that she's gotten some actors to model her stuff.  So it might not be that useful to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004 07:50:36 AM »

Yeah, I can be embarrassing when I notice people knitting.  I have been known to shout "She's knitting!" when I see people on screen knitting.  I also will totally miss the point of the movie and be sitting there muttering "Mmm, that's a really nice Shoofly quilt...I should make a Shoofly quilt.  Oh wait, hon, what just went on?  Can you rewind?"

It's a sickness!  But a good one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatingme
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004 08:14:39 AM »

Last night while watching Gothika I noticed this sweater Halle was were and for the rest of movie all I could think was : Was that handknit?  How can I make that?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midtowner

Where did I put that needle/bead/yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004 10:37:32 AM »

I can get pretty distracted by knitting or nice sweaters in a movie.  Luckily most of my movie viewing is on DVD, so I can quickly replay the moment.  I really should take notes though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004 10:40:31 AM »

there are some beautiful knits in "Le Divorce" - the Kate Hudson/Naomi Watts movie set in France.

it also left me with the burning desire to wear a million scarves, so beware while watching :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004 12:39:07 PM »

I haven't really seen any movies where people have been knnitting, but the other day I was watching Under  The Tuscan Sun  and I knitted through the whole thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Enjoy the ice cream while it's on your plate."
                      - Thorton Wilder
(Personally I have never heard of Thorton but I like that quote!)
skittermagoo
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004 01:06:35 PM »

Hub and I watched "Whale Rider" over the weekend . . . the whole movie is smattered with handknit sweaters!  Makes sense, really . . . movie was made in New Zealand, many sheep in New Zealand, thus much wool . . .

Anyway, even without the great sweaters it's a great movie!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.co m
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004 01:07:29 PM »

I like the endless blanket in 'Like Water for Chocolate'  the main character knits sort of as a sublimation of all her real desires in life, and there's one great scene where she's riding off in an open carriage and her blanket is trailing behind for a good hundred yards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marlatiara
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004 03:43:09 PM »

I love all the knitted things in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and have planned a pair of fingerless gloves because Clem has them. Wink (OK so I was going to make them anyway - but the movie + a ball of kool aid dyed yarn that I wasn't sure what to do with = inspiration!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://buttons.marlatiara.com - one inch buttons!
http://www.marlatiara.com - general dorkiness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glamorous Dresses for Every Occasion
The Tuxedo Is an Alternative to the LBD
Outfit of the Day: DVF Style
Top 6 Shoe Styles for Any Occasion This Winter
Celebrity Stylist Talks Hottest Trends Of 2013
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...