A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To line a dress or not to line a dress.  (Read 669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MNR
« on: April 12, 2012 07:03:46 PM »

I'm doing the coffee date dress from burdastyle's website.

I fixed the patterns to my plus sized dimensions. I cut the pattern pieces.
I"m using quilting cotton, it seems like medium weight quilting cotton. Do I have to line the dress? I don't really want to, but I want something that can stand up to wearing. I"m thinking this will be a spring or summer dress.

How do you know when you should line a dress? Or do you always line your dresses? How do you line your dresses? Sew the right sides together then flip around and iron? I can never tell in pictures if other people lined their dresses or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012 06:10:47 AM »

That's a cute dress!  I almost always line the bodices of my dresses.  Mostly because it makes the cleanest edge.  Even if I have a pattern that calls for facings, I'll often sub in a full lining because I loathe facings.  At the same time, I practically never line the skirt of a dress, unless it's a super sheer material.  That's a lot of fabric and time to devote to something when a slip will usually do just fine, if it's necessary.

I usually use the pattern instructions to install a lining, changing only enough to allow me to machine stitch as much as possible.  It usually involves sewing the neck edges together, clipping curves, and then understitching.  The understitching is hugely important, to get a nice finished look.  You should never have to top stitch, unless it's decorative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
tigergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012 05:18:02 AM »

I have never fully lined a dress but that's mainly because I've mostly sewn summer dresses and I am not going to add to the layers unnecessarily. If they're too sheer I'll wear a voile slip under them. The thought of lining a silk/linen/cotton dress in a synthetic material seems to defeat the purpose of wearing that fabric to begin with. Structured winter clothing is another matter though - the lining adds warmth and also helps to preserve the structure of the garment. I have lined dress bodices for the same reason as Aislynn - to get a clean edge around necks and armholes (sleeveless dresses). If you don't line it, you need to figure out some other way of finishing off those edges - facings, bias tape etc., just turning it over and sewing it down does not give a good finish on curves on a woven fabric.

When I line a bodice, I sew the dress together at the shoulder seams, leaving the centre back seam and side seams unsewn. Sew the shoulder seams of the lining together. Then I sew the lining to the dress around the neckline (centre back to centre back) and around each armhole (side seam to side seam). At this point the side seams and centre back are still unsewn on both the dress and lining and you've got the right side of the lining facing the right side of the dress. Then you turn it all inside out through the shoulders. Once it's inside out you can sew up the side seams of both lining and dress as well as the CB seam. Ok, that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but a web search will probably come up with a zillion tutorials with pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selena Gomez-Inspired Makeup Tutorial
Classic Makeup Tutorial: Cat Eye and Red Lips
Double Wing Eyeliner Tutorial
Cat Eye and Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial
How to Achieve the Glittery Eye Look
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...