A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rustic Wired Basket tutorial  (Read 12693 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« on: April 12, 2012 03:28:56 PM »

Tools needed: pliers, wire cutters, scissors, and Popsicle stick (not shown)

Materials: grapevine wire, moss garland, and 24 gauge brown coated wire

The first step is to make a frame out of the grapevine wire. You may need to use the scissors to cut the fibers after cutting the wire with wire cutters. For this basket I used two circles (one larger than the other) joined by three supports. Cut more wire than you need and wrap extra around it to secure it. The canoe basket had an oval with a curved support to shape the bottom.

Now you need to make the wire mesh for the sides. I like to use one and a half yard pieces of wire to work with. You will then have to join them as you work. Fasten on end to the larger, top circle. To make the first row of links you wrap the wire around the popsicle stick and down through the frame. wrapping links all the way around.

For the rest of the rows you wrap around the stick and through one of your links. It is very similar to nalbinding and you continue to work your way around until your work can stretch down to the base.

At this step you will not use the stick. Just wrap around the base catching each loop to secure it.

The base is a little more challenging as you need to make decreases. A wooden circle with holes drilled around the edge could be wired in for a solid base. To start weaving the base you need to wrap around the stick catching the wire used to secure the side to the base. You will not be able to fit more than 2/3 wraps on the stick at a time. To decrease, every other row needs to catch two links at a time. If you look carefully you can see the wire going through two links below.

Continue around until the last row and run the wire through all loops and secure end. At that point you can straighten out the bends in the frame from working the mesh.

Cut a piece of garland that is slightly larger than the top edge of basket. You want to overlap the ends. Secure the garland with excess wire wrapping around the basket top.

Cut three times the length of the desired handle, using grapevine wire. Thread the beads onto center of wire. My wire had a slub so I was not able to center the beads and had to cut an extra piece to finish off the short end. Wrap excess around the handle. This helps to secure the beads as well as give it strength.

To finish your piece you can paint or stain the beads, add sheet moss to the bottom, or add a bow.

I had to cut out a lot of the working pictures. I had trouble down loading more than one at a time even after decreasing the size.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012 05:45:53 PM by ysmeine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012 03:37:04 PM »

So pretty! I'm loving the moss detail! Thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012 04:10:40 PM »

what a neat idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012 04:30:11 AM »

I've never heard of grapevine wire and am really impressed you made your own mesh.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style the Perfect Prom Outfit
Wear 1 Army Jacket 5 Ways Like Jessica Alba
5 Summer Looks For Less Than $100
Putting Together an Easy Bohemian Look
Which Runway Model Inspired Nasty Gal Clothing?
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...