A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing specific pattern into wool blanket  (Read 546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feeshy

Over my dead pineapple

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 25, 2012 03:43:14 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm just trying to get some opinions on how to get a specific effect on a wool blanket, because the only dyeing I've done before is the usual 'obtain dye packet, follow instructions, fail slightly'.

I've got a white wool blanket. At least, I'm hoping it's 100% wool. I'll try and work that part out when it arrives, but let's assume it is.

I want to get a sort of 'tabby cat' pattern onto it- essentially, browny background with irregular black stripes and splodges. But it needs to be regular enough to be sort of recognisable as a tabby pattern.

The most 'reliable' solution I've come up with so far is dyeing the whole thing brown and needle felting the black bits on. Which is fine, but is going to take frigging forever, and I'm a bit fed up of frigging forever projects at the moment.

So, alternatives. I would guess I'd have to dye the entire thing brown and then find some way of dyeing the other bits on top, but I'm not sure which method would actually work (and end up with black, rather than navy like the last thing I tried to dye black). The finished product needs to be able to be washed (ideally machine on cold) without all the dye going away, because it's being made into a cloak for cold and wet larping. I've seen the shaving foam method which looks like the sort of thing that could work, but I wasn't sure how well it would work on wool, or how well the desired pattern would form. Does anyone have any better suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only signature he needed was my fist. With a pen in it. That I was signing with.
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012 08:47:01 PM »

What about using a tie-dye method? Like that style of shibori where you wrap it around a pole and then wrap it with rope? That would give you some cool looking stripes!

Another thought is to just use a cold-water dye in a ketchup bottle (like from a diner/restaurant) to apply the black stripes and then over-dye the whole thing brown to soften the edges of the stripes even more.

Hope you get it figured out Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlpacaNanny
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012 04:47:32 AM »

Shibori dyeing was my first thought also, but on something large, I am skeptical that the results would be satisfactory.    What size is the blanket?      Another consideration is - where did you get the blanket - some commercial products have been treated with chemicals and may be somewhat dye resistant.

I have only used acid  dyes on natural fibers, which require heat to set the dye.  I know some people that have used procion dyes on natural fibers with success.  Because of the size of the blanket, it might be easier to use them. 

I frequently use this Yahoo dye group and find the experts there VERY helpful.  Perhaps you could pose your question to them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dyehappy/

Good Luck,
Louise

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Egg Bhurjee
How to Prepare a Cucumber Maki
How to Prepare a Sumosan Roll
How to Make the Perfect Potato and Aubergine Bhaji
How to Savour A Delicious Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...