A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand or Machine Sewing?  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

unimehe
« on: April 10, 2012 08:19:19 PM »

I'm extremely new to the sewing game, and I'm wondering if it's easier to hand stitch or machine stitch?  What inexpensive machine would you recommend if I wanted to get one just to try it out and not spend a lot on it?

Are the handheld battery driven sewing machines any good?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharalee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012 12:32:10 PM »

Hi "unimehe" so glad you are learning to sew! You can hand sew a lot of things.  I do like to hand sew things a lot of times like embroidery etc. But for some heavy duty things it's good to have a sewing machine. Singer is one that's been around for quite awhile & I have a old one & it's still going, basic one under $100 & Used ones maybe half, that depends. Try a used one , or try a newer one just don't get to fancy of one for your first one. Just a basic one that zigzags & maybe a few more stitches. That should be enough for your first one.  My experience in the hand held ones weren't good, but they might be better now don't know!! Maybe even barrow someone's you know well & try it for a bit & see if you like it or not.
Hope that helps! Good Luck!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.craftysisters-sharalee.blogspot.com

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap" RD 2/
"Craft My Pet for Me Swap"/Partner/
"Fabric Art Journal RD 3 Swap"/Partners/
"Make Purse & Wallet Swap/

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/also Teesha Moore Patches/Felt Badges
unimehe
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012 07:37:07 PM »

Thank you! I'll look into a used one first. I'm sure they aren't hard to come by!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012 08:43:18 AM »

Hi!  I agree w/sharalee.  I don't endorse the hand held sewing machines.  I have a Singer, and I love it.  It's more advanced then my 1st Singer.  My 1st Singer was a basic machine.  If you buy a sewing machine, definitely go w/a basic machine 1st.  You can always upgrade, when you become more confident on the machine.  Machine sewing makes your projects finish so much faster.  But, hand sewing can be relaxing.  I hand sew the smaller pieces.  No matter how slow I go on my machine, it wants to "eat" the smaller pieces.  I used to only hand sew, because I was afraid of the sewing machine.  My mother taught me how to sew on her old Singer.  I started using it a year after she passed away.  Then it started to mess up, and that's when I bought myself a new, basic Singer.  After it started messing up last year, my husband bought me the more advanced Singer.  So, machines are good for your bigger projects, hand sewing is better for smaller projects, and embroidery, in my opinion.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poison_Of_Gull

Crafting is in my blood and glitter is in my soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012 09:36:33 PM »

You should do both! You will need you learn how to hand sew things, because as your projects get more detailed, the smaller things will need to be stitched on there. The long seems that need to be straight and perfect and tight... Sewing machines take away a lot of the stress away from that. Hope that helps! And good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for wrist watches or old clocks. Broken or working, doesn't matter! I will swap anything you would like.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 5/10
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...