A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Catch your customers eye from afar?  (Read 1036 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahactivated
« on: April 10, 2012 06:03:28 AM »

I was reading this thread for advice:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=125214.0

And one of the many things I found useful, was to have small, shiny things on display to draw people in. Does anyone have particular products they use? Also, if this particular technique doesn't work, what DOES work for you?

I was thinking of getting some pins and badges printed because they definitely reel ME in!

Here are some tricks I've learned so far in my research:
- If things are quiet, have someone (a friend) walk around in front of your stall. You'll see that people are attracted to a stall that already has people in it.
- Don't sit down and look uninterested...no matter how bored you are!
- Shuffle your stock around during the day if you find that your product isn't moving. Maybe a refresh of your arrangement will do the trick.
- Keep your displays simple. You may feel tempted to over decorate, but your products can easily be lost in your "flair".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahactivated
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012 06:17:14 AM »

Oh...and another very important tip:
- Don't think that cheaper is better. Refer to this thread here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=163260.0

Some stall inspiration:

From fellow Crafster thefourthstar

From Flickr

Suitcases are all the rage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012 04:44:05 PM »

The first question I ask is "Where are your lights?" The most important thing in a successful display are lights. You cannot have too much light.  That's what will attract your customers. You don't go into a store if the lights are out, so why go into a booth with the lights out?

When you're talking about a friend patronizing you, you're talking about a shill. that's kinda unethical in my book.

Another thing to have is one medium. Not jewelry, hats, paper, etc. That can only make the customer ask "What is s/he selling?" And when you have one medium, you become good at that medium and become known and looked for at shows. For over 12 years I was known as the "House Number Guy" because that was what I sold. House numbers and house numbers only. It got to a point where customers were calling the show promoters asking if I were going to be there. Eventually some promoters started listing the exhibitors and that brought in even more customers.

Dress nice. Don't go looking like you're going to clean out the closets when you get home. "Dress for success". If you're outside get rid of the sunglasses. And SMILE!! Talk to your customers. Thank them for coming out to the show.

You mention not sitting. Great idea! But if you must sit, get a tall director's chair so you are at eye level with your customers.

Another thing to do is attend as many shows/fairs as you can. Especially the more professional ones with exhibitors who do it for a living. You can get many, many great ideas about displays, lighting, booth arrangements, etc.

That will put you in a different light at the shows you currently do. And that attracts the customers with the money!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
sarahactivated
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012 10:52:26 PM »

Hi Chris!

Thanks for your tips.Do you have any opinions on signage? I've been told that it's important to have your business name visible. I've also been told that seating for your customers is nice to have?

The first question I ask is "Where are your lights?" The most important thing in a successful display are lights. You cannot have too much light.

Even during the day? But you're right..I didn't even think about that. I can understand how this is important for little things, like jewelry, to make it sparkle.

When you're talking about a friend patronizing you, you're talking about a shill. that's kinda unethical in my book.

Well if you put it that way..you make it sound bad!

Dress nice. Don't go looking like you're going to clean out the closets when you get home. "Dress for success". If you're outside get rid of the sunglasses. And SMILE!! Talk to your customers. Thank them for coming out to the show.

People keep saying this! I will ditch my sunnies...I probably would have worn them but now I do understand how standoff-ish you may look to someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012 04:16:32 AM »

A name sign? Sure.  I had a baseball cap made up with "The House Number Guy" sewn on it even though the business name was "Shady Pine Studios". I never had a name sign in my booth. It takes up selling space.

Customer seating? In all my years of doing this, I have never seen any customer seating unless the exhibitor is face painting. However, we have done some shows outside where the temperature gets over 90 degrees and I have offered my chair to people who just need to get out of the sun and under my canopy.

And I forgot to say this about attracting customers and becoming successful.

Have something nobody else in the show has.

Have an original product. That's why my house numbers were so successful. Nobody else did them. But once you start to be copied, it's time to move on to something else. Once other exhibitors started selling house numbers I went on to something else, which is currently my website. And again I am the only one with my product at every show I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012 04:32:16 AM »

Signs:

Here's a link to a promoter I do a number of shows with. This link is to their photo page and you can click the photos to brign them up full size.

http://www.castleberryfairs.com/photoalbum.php

Notice where a majority of exhibitors have their signs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelin20
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012 07:12:49 PM »

I bought a banner from vista print but I'm also doing signs on tie dye poster board I found at wally world for .97 cents they match my line and are bright and colorful enough to catch the eye but being on the corner of the booths I'm thinking they wont distract you from the inventory
mind you I'm no expert but I know when I see bright colorful things I'm like a toddler drawn to shiny things
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/people/CommodityOddity
Find everything and anything of whimsy in my etsy
Use code ODDBALL for 15% off!
http://yardsellr.com/yardsale/Steph-Helin-598297
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set White Balance Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Timer Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Spot Meter Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Shutter Priority (S) Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Image Quality/Resolution Function
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...