A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting with Sashay (ruffle yarn) tutorial  (Read 32063 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2012 12:25:08 PM »

It seems to be a little known fact that you can, in fact, crochet with that ruffle yarn that is so popular these days.  Personally, I'm not a fan of this kind of yarn.  I find it to be a pain in the butt to work with as it tends to curl up on itself at the slightest provocation.

I did find it slightly easier to work with when crocheting than with knitting, though, so there's a plus!

Here's how to do it with Red Heart Sashay yarn using a 6mm hook (it's pretty much the same method for all the yarns of this type... you just need to figure out where to put the hook)

First you need to spread the yarn out - you'll see that it's a net.  There's an edge that has some sparkle to it, that's the bottom edge.  You will be crocheting with the top edge only.

Along the top edge there is what people call "train tracks" - a series of holes that alternate between big and small.

We will be concerning ourselves only with the large holes.  Ignore the small ones.

You don't need a slip knot to start with this yarn, you just insert your hook and off you go.  Now, when I start, I fold the end over a bit and work into both layers for about an inch or so.  It's not shown in this picture because, frankly, I took that picture and you couldn't see what was going on. Smiley

To get the ruffle effect, you simply skip a large hole and go into the next:

That's it.  Every time your pattern has you "yarn over", you skip a large hole and insert the hook into the next large hole.

Start with a base chain that is approximately the length of the scarf you want to make (up to 6' long is a safe length for one ball)

Here's what it looks like when you pull that second "large hole" loop through the first:

(chain made)

Here I am, grabbing the next spot, two large holes away:

When you have the length you want, turn and sc in each chain.  Now, the chain is hard to see, both in this picture and in real life:

But do your best - only work into one loop of the chain.  It's too much of a pain to work it any other way, in my experience.

When you've sc across, turn and slip stitch back down again. And you're done!  Finish off by cutting the yarn and pulling the *whole* thing through the loop on your hook.  Pull it snug, and then trim the end if you find it's sticking out too much.  The end should basically hide itself in the ruffles.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012 09:19:12 PM »

Thanks for posting this - I've got similar yarn now I have to be brave enough to try it.  I'm sure I'll ask some questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkykimmy17
Kimmy <3

Bulltshit and Attitude will get you far in life!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012 10:23:43 AM »

I Knitted with this stuff the project goes soooo fast.. just have to watch what your doing but its pretty forgiving if u mes it up a little lol ... I love the effect you get with this particular product:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimmy <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
May 4th: Kiss & Sell
Young British Artist Kitty Clark Talks About the YBAs and Her Artwork
Young British Artist Joe Steele Talks About the Original YBAs
Young British Artist Adham Faramawy Talks About YBAs and His Work
Young British Artist Edward Fornieles Talks About His Work and the YBAs
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...