A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Galaxy Dress.  (Read 21129 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flutterbysea
« on: April 08, 2012 01:30:54 PM »

This is my Galaxy Dress!

I'll to try to explain what I did with out being To long winded... we'll see how that goes Smiley Let me just start by saying: I am an idiot/perfectionist and most of the repeated steps probably could have been avoided if I only had a brain.

SO! this is what I started with... I know what your thinking, Why on earth would she have That in one of her drawers. Well I got this lovely garment from a garage sale, back when I was seven. (I grew up on a farm, and this was during my Princess/cowgirl phase). Anywho, I never got rid of it. fast forward 15 years and now I've got a rather interesting dress to demolish!

I'll be honest, when I started I had NO idea what the dress was going to be. Really my only thought was my complete and utter hatred of any, and all things pink.
My bright idea was to remove the pink with excessive amounts of bleach. This might have worked IF I had tried a diluted bleach bath... unfortunately my mind doesn't work that way... Instead I had the bright idea to put some bleach in a spray bottle and have at it. In my mind this was going to result in a perfect bleached out dress that was no longer pink... Alas (obviously) that was not the case. What I got instead was a splotchy yellowish top and whitish splatters on the skirt (apparently the  cotton/dye combination used for the eyelet parts were  different then what was used on the skirt/lining).
Since the outcome of the bleach was less then satisfactory I decided the next step would be dye! Blue dye!... the result was again, alas (obviously) not good, leaving me with a slightly blue tinged pink splotchy dress.

After trying it on a few times I noticed the dress was fully lined with the same thin (not yellow) cotton of the skirt! sooooo I decided to use it inside out! thus ridding myself of all eyelets and ruffles as well as giving me a smooth bodice to work with! That's when I had the idea to fuel my obsession with all things galaxy print and turn it in to a galaxy dress!

I refitted the top, took in the side seams and front darts. reversed the buttons. I cut the ruffle under skirt (used to be over skirt) off a few inches above my knees to act as a sort of petticoat. I cut the over shirt (used to be under skirt) in to a Hi-Low hem I.E. shorter in the front, longer in the back. added POCKETS! just what every dress needs!....then I added another layer of bleach.

I tried dying it black and teal with Rit dye in spray bottles but it didn't stick (I did it outside and it was to cold). then I tried store bought black spray fabric paint (it sucked). and then did one last round of bleach (I'm amazed the dress hasn't disintegrated yet).

Decided to try hand painting the black/blue galaxyish things on... 5 hours later, the dress was improving (slowly). But still not quite what I wanted. so I dip dyed  some spots/corners in really hot, really bright, teal dye.
IT FINALLY STUCK!!! 

added some white and gold stars and it was done!

I didn't have a necklace that would go with the dress, so I made this one last minute. just some rocks from my stream, wire, mod podge and glitter nail polish. I might do a post on the jewelry board if anyone's interested.

Sorry I'm not smiling in any of the pictures, it was 40 and windy... I was cold Smiley

Thanks for looking! Comments and Critiques always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012 01:55:35 PM »

Awesome!!! Your galaxy dress is amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fancybutch
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012 02:03:04 PM »

wow!  that's amazing.  Fabulous job, it looks gorgeous.  I also love all things spacey.
And I love that you tried a bunch of things that didn't work and ketp going and eventually got something brilliant.
that's how I roll too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
DawnsTrees
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012 02:22:05 PM »

Your dress is fantastic! Love how it turned out! I also adore that you walked us through all of the trials in making this - it helps my creativity to hear that others also occasionally have to go through multiple steps in order to get the finished product! (btw - your boots are awesome!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Radmom
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012 03:42:10 PM »

Loving it, my daughter has been wanting me to make her an entire outfit in galaxy design, one of her dreams is to become astronomer. You have definitely proven to keep trying until you find perfection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankeknitter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012 03:54:48 PM »

I love it. I too have things fubar in the middle and have to salvage it into somthing awesome.
A tip for spraying RIT dye: put it in a glass bowl and nuke it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaptainBee
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012 04:23:09 PM »

Amazing! I've been trying to make some galaxy stuff but mine always look weird.
I'm so bookmarking this for future reference, thanks for the tip! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012 05:54:36 PM »

I can't believe you held on to it for so long, but you really did a fabulous job. From all angles it is wonderful and very flattering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
banana731

procraftinator extrodinaire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012 06:39:48 PM »

I totally dig it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm almost always typing with one hand...
RachelStitches
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012 07:24:37 PM »

The finished outfit definitely looks worth the effort!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog - rachelstitches.blogspot.co.uk
Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/RachelStitches
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katherine Zemla: Manicure Addict
The Look of Christian Dior Fall 2013
The Look of Lanvin Fall 2013
Why You Should Create Your Own Makeup Rules
Tamira Laboy: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...