A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doing Some Halloween Up-cycling for Decorations  (Read 1184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: April 06, 2012 12:16:00 PM »

I've seen a variety of web pages of projects for little potion cabinets and bottles and I decided I wanted to try something like that for myself for Halloween. But I decided to make mine be full size bottles.

I actually thought, in the beginning, that I'd need some friends so to save some glass bottles and jars for me, since I didn't really want to buy any. I didn't think that just my husband and I would be able to come up with enough glass on our own. Boy, I was wrong! Smiley

I didn't want to have hand drawn labels on my bottles and jars, because I knew I'd never be happy with how they turned out. Somewhere online, I came across vintage looking Halloween labels and I started saving them. I'm still working on a few other containers, but these are pretty much done.

Wow, excuse the crappy pictures! For some reason, I couldn't get a decent photo of these bottles, no matter what kind of setting I was using. And I actually used my real camera instead of my cell phone! Huh

From left to right: The Swamp Fog jar was a jelly jar in a previous life. For fun, I packed it lightly with Fiber Fill. The Fur of Werewolf jar used to have gravy in it. Now, it's stocked with fur that was shed by my German Shepherd. The Graveyard Dust bottle is actually one I bought because I didn't want all the jars and bottles to look the same. It's got white sand and some shell fragments in it, from Tampa, FL. Last on the right is the Mermaid Scales bottle, which used to have sweet chili sauce in it. It now has cut up rubber fishing minnows in it. Word to the wise: when you buy rubber minnows from Wal-Mart to use them in a project like this, make sure you aren't buying SCENTED minnows. These suckers reek, and unfortunately, I will have to reopen this bottle. I want to add some more minnow pieces to it, and I need to buy one more package. But I did like these minnows: they are two colored, grey on top, silver/white on bottom. All I did was snip them in slices and then I had to put my scissors in the dishwasher.  Grin

From left to right: The Powdered Horn of Unicorn was a former hot sauce bottle. Now, it's filled with broken and crushed chunks of white chalk. The Earth Worms jar was a pie filling jar. Now it's filled with rubber sticky fishing worms. The Twisted Twigs jar used to have olives in it. Now, it's filled with small sticks from our maple tree. The Cemetery Dirt jar was a gravy jar in it's previous life. Now, it's got dirt from one of my flower beds in it.

To be on the safe side, I left the jars of dirt and twigs open and sitting on my kitchen counter for a few days, trying to dry them out. I didn't want condensation build-up on the inside of the jars. I printed out the labels at work on the color printer on regular paper and used a glue stick to put them on.

I actually have a couple more bottles at home, that I'm going to be working on soon: poison, human skin and petrified butterflies. I think I'll fill them with iced tea (so I be seen drinking out of it for Halloween), some candied ginger (so I can be seen eating them for Halloween), and some silk butterflies from AC Moore.

But I have so many more fun labels that I want to use, so I probably aren't too close to being done after all. Smiley I intend to scatter these around the kitchen and dining room for Halloween as decorations. I figure if I got an early start on them now, then I'd have plenty of them when Halloween rolls around so it wouldn't be a mad scramble at the last minute. My husband was actually surprised that I was starting my Halloween crafts so early this year. Smiley I think it's cute I was able to get that kind of honest reaction out of him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
HowdySailor
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012 11:14:52 AM »

These are awesome! I was actually able to find some huge brown bottles at the local Goodwill. If you spray your paper with a mixture of coffee and purple food coloring, it will age it and make your tags look even yuckier! (spray and flatten before printing hehe)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javaannie

Love is in the details.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012 12:37:51 PM »

Very cool. I've done some of these in the past, but I need to do some more. Love your labels, would love to know your source if you can share. Also, you can dry your dirt and sticks in the oven. Spread them on a foil-lined baking sheet, preheat to the lowest setting, then turn it off and put them in. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Javaannie
www.facebook.com/kateandeugene
www.kateandeugene.e tsy.com
With enough caffeine, I could rule the world.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Cake Ideas for Girls
Birthday Cake Ideas for Boys
Tips for Preventing Pudding from Forming a Skin
Should Cookie Dough Be Chilled Before Baking?
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...