I was wanting a "tabistry" project to make to donate to a silent auction at a Steampunk event we attending this past weekend. So, as I normally do, I looked around for what I had on hand to make something with. Who knew the project would be perfect for this challenge, too! Though, it's never spring cleaning in our house, where everything is fair game for a crafty project all year round.
- 2 Beers
- Scraps of leather
- Green-tinted Plastic from Soda Bottle
- Can tabs
- Remnants of Polar Fleece
- Aluminum Wire
Here's a shot of some of the materials used:
That's all it took to make these! (Excuse me while I just pose them so elegantly on this old candlestick atop this old weathered palette.)
The hat is made like my other tabistry work, weaving can tabs together with fabric strips. The remnant polar fleece I used on this one is part of an out of control stash I'm accumulating every time I go to the fabric store. Seems this stuff is always on sale! And, with the additional discount for remnants, I can buy up the wide assortment of colors they have really cheap.
I'm most happy with how the goggles turned out. My family thought I was bonkers for making "beer goggles". Such a supportive family I have. No vision, I tell you.
I used two Miller Lite Beers we had left in the back of the fridge from our last camping trip that were getting pretty old. (Surprisingly still drinkable!) The leather was all scraps form my sweetie's leather top hats. (I can't throw anything away!) The strap is attached with a larger can tab, probably from something like anchovies.
The buckle is also a larger can tab, probably from a fruit can. I don't find uses for these odd shaped tabs very often. Made a perfect buckle!
Here's a close up of the buckle. I added a bit of aluminum wire I received in a craft swap.
Inside I inserted some green-tinted plastic from a 2 liter Seven Up bottle I have saved. (Yes, I told you I save everything!) It is held in with the bottom of the can, which I cut out the center of. The two layers of aluminum were sandwiched in between two layers of the leather and riveted into place. So no sharp edges are visible. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the leather was stained with bottle of old shoe polish I happened to have.
Hope you've enjoyed my entry! I talk a little more about it and other projects like it on my blog here
Good luck with your own spring (or not-so-spring) cleaning!