A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleaching mishap :( please help  (Read 907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeLyLlama
« on: April 05, 2012 08:00:31 PM »

Ok I'm really broke and decided to try and bleach my own hair to Gwen Stefani blonde. I'm naturally have medium brown hair with golden tones. I bought two bleach kits and then a ultra blonde due. I figured it was going to take a couple of rounds of bleach to get it light enough to dye/tone light blonde. Anyway, I started last night with bleach and a 30vol developer. My was dyed several months ago and I had used a color stripper the day after that leaving me with a darker band on the tips of my hair. I applied all the bleach and waited about 58mins. Shampooed and conditioned like a maniac. Then I noticed, the dark tips are now orange and the rest is banana yellow. I had to get the bleach out after an hour due to the heat, but how to fix the tips? I'm wanting an even color so should I re bleach just the ends(it's about 3 inches or more of hair) til all of the hair is banana yellow and then continue lightening week by week? My next bleach mix is only 20vol, will that do the trick? My last set of stuff is revlon colorsilk ultra light blonde. I was going to use it to lighten my hair to the final level and tone it. Any ideas? I can't afford a salon but I can't go around with what looks like dip dyed orange tips.

I can try to post pics if anyone can tell me how to from an iPhone. I don't have a computer.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012 08:02:23 PM by LeLyLlama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012 12:37:07 AM »

Ooh bummer. Yeah I don't think that trying to go from medium brown to Gwen Stefani blonde is ever going to come out well at home Sad  I was also under the impression that it's best to use bleach with 40 volume developer. I would suggest to spend $4 to get some 40 volume and try again on just the ends. Otherwise, maybe it's time for a trim! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012 02:35:14 AM »

Be really really really careful about putting more bleach on top of what you've already bleached. If you re-bleach the hair that's already bleached it'll weaken the hair too much and break off in chunks and you'll end up looking like a little kid that got into the scissors.....ask me how I know and why i spent an entire summer with my hair either pulled back or plastered down, yeah that was fun.

Have you previously dyed your hair? Because even if it was a semi-permanent or temperary, there could still be dye left in your hair and that's why it didn't bleach all the way at the ends, if that's the case, there's really nothing you can do about it other than chop it off or just put a different color on the ends. I actually used to have my hair old-school Gwen Stefani where it was blond with pink on the ends, so you could do something like that.

If you've never dyed your hair, the problem on the ends could just be a heat issue. Bleach develops faster when its been heated and the body heat coming off of your scalp heats the bleach so the ends don't lift as quick as the scalp. You can try re-bleaching the ends, just make sure that you don't overlap the bleach with the part of your hair that's already lightened, that'll cause breakage. I would then put tin foil (you can just use the kitchen kind, its the same as they beauty supply kind you just have to cut it into strips yourself) on the tips and hit it with a blow dryer. Check under the tin foil every 5 mins until the color matches the rest of your hair. If your hair's already orange it should lift reletively quick. Then wash out.

As for the volume issue. The volume of the developer you use basicly says how strong the bleaching power is, higher the humber the stronger  the bleach. 40 volume shouldn't be used on bleach that's gonna touch your scalp except for in very rare occasions where it carefully supervised by a professional. And even then  you're likely to end up with burns on your scalp, again, ask me how I know. And when I say burns I mean burns, it looks and feels like you had a curling iron accident, scabs and everything.

After your ends are the same color as the rest of your hair do a deep conditioning treatment. You can get an in shower hot oil treatment for pretty cheap or go to Sally's and find something there for a descent price too.

Now to deal with the bannana yellow. I cannot stress enough that you should not just go and put more bleach on your hair. Even if you went to a professional they wouldn't recomend doing it because of the chance of your hair falling out. So the bad news is that you're not gonna end up platinum blond, but the good news is that you can get that funky bannana color out with a toner. Go to sally's and ask the ppl that work there what kind of toner you need to fix it, they should be able to guide you in the right direction, its probably gonna be a purple but I can't remember off hand, it might be blue, but i'm pretty sure its purple. It seems weird but it won't make your hair purple (or whatever the color is), its just gonna cancel out the yellow, its something to do with the color wheel. You should also get a purple shampoo while you're there (again, ask the ppl that work there, they'll know what you're talking about). Its pretty cheap and what it does is leave a small amount of that color in your hair every time you use it so it stays the right color. You probably don't want to use it every time you wash, just a couple times a week or so. If you use it too much it'll give your hair a funky grey tint and if you don't use it enough it'll go back to that bannana color, so you might need to experiment with a frequency that works for you. And the rest of the time just use your normal shampoo.

You should probably also do a deep conditioning every couple weeks since bleaching is so hard on your hair, again, if you dont know what deep conditioner to get, just ask the ppl at Sally's. Don't feel intimidated to ask them about this stuff, they get professional stylists asking them questions about products all the time, they're there to help.

When you go back to do your roots when your hair starts growing out, have a friend help you so you don't overlap the bleach on your already blond hair.

And when you decide to go back to dark, if you can't afford to get it professionally done, dye your hair red and then a couple days later dye it whatever dark color you want. If you go straight from blond to brown or black your hair will turn a nasty grey color.

Also, for future refrence on any major hair changes, call around to any beauty schools near you. They're way cheaper than a salon and they still do a professional job. Depending on the school, the cost of getting it done there and supplies for doing it yourself really isn't that big of a difference.

Ok I hope all that made sense. Tried to be as detailed as possible, but let me know if you need more clarification or help. Oh and all this info's from my sister who's a cosmotologist and lead stylist at her salon, so she knows her stuff when it comes to color. And seriously, the girls at Sally's are a great recourse for help, most the ppl that work there are in or just out of beauty school so they're fairly knowledgable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NY Strip Steak & Potatoes with Chef John Schenk
How to Cook a Tuna Fish
How to Make Smoked, Barbecued Ribs
Chicken and Supreme Sauce
Easy Breakfast Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...