A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coconut oil and Honey hair mask/deep conditioner  (Read 31949 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_care  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tr3kkie9rl
« on: April 05, 2012 12:15:37 PM »

As they so often do, this latest project bubbled up from many accumulated nuggets of knowledge stored in my frontal lobes almost by osmosis. I apologize that I don't have a picture to go with it, so I scalped this one from teh interwebz:

it's about the same color as my hair maybe slightly more red, and the shine is definitely comparable (as described later in this post)

I had noticed that my hair lately (aside from being in desperate need of a trim) was starting to look like a bale of alfalfa. So, not pretty. I went to my fridge, pulled out my container of coconut oil, looked at it, hmmm-ed for a minute, and scooped some out into a small container. Then I wandered around my kitchen hunting for other ingredients to add to my hair-repair concoction. I settled on honey, and poured about an equal amount of honey in. I then microwaved it for about 30 seconds, just enough to melt the coconut oil (I keep it in the fridge because it only stays solid below 76 and my cabinets all seem to be warmer than that) and stirred the heck out of it to combine the honey and coconut oil. They seemed to be somewhat averse to each other, and by the time I got to the shower I had to shake the container a bit to re-combine them.

Once I had wet my hair pretty thoroughly, I poured the oil-honey mixture into my hands and applied it liberally from root to tip, and massaged it into my scalp too. It was still warm from the microwave, which was really relaxing! (I wonder if it had the added benefits that are supposed to come with those hot oil treatments that used to be so popular?) I slathered on some of my normal conditioner too, just for kicks. After all the normal showery stuff body washing, shaving, exfoliating, etc I took a wide-tooth plastic comb and ran it through my hair to detangle it. Then I rinsed it as best as I could. Surprisingly it seemed to rinse almost clean, after which I applied shampoo. By this point the deep conditioner had probably been on my hair for 15-20 minutes (it was one of those long, luxurious showers *smile*) and as I washed it clean, I could already tell there was a huge difference. The last thing I did was my apple cider vinegar rinse to restore the hairs natural ph. I couldnt wait to see how it looked and felt once dry!

I did my typical routine of letting it air dry, then blow drying it almost dry with a paddle brush, then setting it in velcro rollers. As I was doing this, the texture felt much smoother and softer, and it was already looking much shinier.

When it was completely dry, after I had taken out the rollers and brushed it through, I was literally astounded. My hair looked completely virgin and healthy. When I stepped outside later and glanced at the strands, they were literally glistening in the sun as if I had used a shine serum filled with crushed diamonds. Ok maybe thats a slight exaggeration. But it was super shiny for reals!

This was definitely one of my better experiments, and one I plan to continue using often! I made it for a friend, but I added grapeseed oil to hers. So that will be going in the next batch I make for myself!

This is a fact sheet on the ingredients I give to people I make this for:

A couple notes: dark hair will usually have more noticeable shine than lighter hair, although this is actually a sort of optical illusion. Dark pigments absorbs more light while fairer strands actually reflect it, but darker hair shows a greater difference in the contrast between light areas and dark areas.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012 12:49:16 PM by tr3kkie9rl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012 01:01:32 PM »

Ooo I'm so gonna have to try this!  My hair gets pretty angry with after while with all the blow drying and hot ironing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012 02:06:21 PM »

That's one of the great things about adding in the grapeseed oil. Not sure if you can read on the fact sheet, but it has a very high burn temp so it's great for protecting hair from heat styling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012 02:45:56 PM »

Oh this is fabulous!    I've seen hair treatment versions recently all over the place (including ones using this picture as well! haha) and have only tried a few.  Mostly the olive oil/honey mix and I've even seen Avocado/oil mix---I just added avocado to my already perfected olive oil/honey mix---I prefer adding the avocado--there is a subtle difference to the softness between the oil/honey only mix, but it does feel softer to me with the 3 ingredients vs 2).

Where do you buy your coconut oil?   Does it have a strong odor?   I've never used it and I have these grand images in my head that I smell like suntan lotion! lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012 12:53:59 AM »

Bookmarked this for future use - thanks for sharing, it sounds great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
vixen72
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012 08:34:48 PM »

Will have to try this. Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012 11:14:53 AM »

Ooh, thanks for this.  I don't think my hair would respond well to it, but my husband's shoulder-length curly locks have been dry and sad-looking lately, so maybe we'll give it a try on him. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftymissy

Let's Do Something Amazing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012 07:27:40 AM »

My hair can relate - it currently feels more like tumbleweed than a Panteen commercial Wink  can't wait to give this a try!  Thanks for sharing!

ThriftyMissy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThriftyMissy

Let's Do Something Amazing!
CeeJayRose
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012 11:51:51 PM »

Make sure you heat the honey when you use this! Just a warning to all or else it will lighten your hair over time. You should heat it until it bubbles to kill the peroxide in it. Smiley

I LOVE coconut oil for hair!! I use a tiny bit of it all the time just as a leave in for my hair after showers (well, before I cut my hair all off) and honey is absolutely amazing for hair. And for the face. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dizzyizzy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012 10:07:07 AM »

Whoooa! I've tried a lot of masks before but my hair NEVER gets this shiny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Patti Stanger Talks About Become Your Own Matchmaker
Douglas Kennedy Reveals What Readers Think About Him
DaShaun Morris Talks About War of the Blood in My Veins
Eric Bogosian Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Vincent Flynn Talks About Protect and Defend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...