A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 14 bits of junk into 3 Legged Pinch Tweezer Holder Bug  (Read 6579 times)
Tags for this thread: assemblage , bug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2012 02:09:03 PM »

This is my new holder for my pinch tweezers, made from 14 pieces of junk found in one drawer..this one..

You can't really see the parts I picked, so here is a pic of them and the list of what became what.

1.  Hair elastic: Used to make the glow rings at the back end.  I painted it with glow in the dark paint.
2.  One sheet sushi grass:  It is used for a decoration on the abdomen, just above the glow rings.
3.  5 small plastic clothes clips: The kind used to hold shirts together in packages.  I only used 4.  They are the claws at t he end of the arms.  Painted just a bit with pearl paint.
4.  Road kill glasses:  I found these last summer in a gutter.  They are very scratched up, but I liked the shape of the lenses.  I took it apart and used the lenses as wings (painted with pearl and glitter paints), the arms and cross piece for the legs and arms.  The nose piece became part of the antenna display.
5.  Large thumb tacks:  I used the orange ones to hold the suckers onto the legs.  I imagine them as a type of horn off the back of the suckers, probably used for mating.
6.  A broken dollar store clamp:  I broke the ends off and used them as feeder arms at the mouth.
7.  Red plastic suction cups:  I used 3 of them, one for the tail and the 2 legs.  I pulled out the hook part and used that for the antenna display.
8.  2 rubber caps from bottle toppers (see 10):  I used these for eye stalks (the other one is under the number 12)
9.  2 long pin push pins:  It is hard to tell in this photo what it is.  It is a plastic disc with a long push pin.  I stuck these into the bottle topper caps and used those to glue to the bug.  The second pin is by the number 12
10.  Acrylic bottle topper:  From a dollar store in the 90's.  I used that as the tail point.  I ended up painting it with pearl.
11.  Cardboard tube from a roll of paper:  I think from an old school calculator.  It forms the body of the bug.
12.  2 scrap booking bottle caps:  These are the base of the eyes.  I glued them to the eye stalks.  I took out the white glue down discs because it looked too cartoony.  I glued sparkle pompoms (the only things I added btw) into the caps and then painted over the pompoms with glow in the dark paint.
13.  Hair elastic:  It's not very stretchy any more.  I took off the buttons and used the elastic  to bind the legs/arms to make it as sturdy as possible.
14.  Another hair elastic:  This time I used the decoration.  It became the chest plate.  Mostly added to give a better surface to glue the legs to.

Besides that stuff, I used glitter pompoms on the eyes, then dotted them with green puffy paint.  I used Martha Stewart paint for all the other paints.

I used the wee hinges as the elbow on the arms, so the can be crossed in front OR opened up.  In the open picture, the pinch tweezers are in his arms.

Here is a photo of his back.

I think he ended up looking rather happy about holding my pinch tweezers Grin  And I'm happy too, because I will be able to find my handy dandy pinch tweezers now Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012 02:26:36 PM »

I think you will always be able to find your tweezers, who would DARE steal them from such a frightening protective beast, eh? LOL, total awesomeness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012 03:39:16 PM »

I love the photo of the drawer - it makes me realize the potential of some of my junk drawers!

The Tweezer Fly is a wondrous thing - does he have a name yet?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012 03:52:51 PM »

I saw this thumbnail on the homepage and immediately thought... "I know who made this, suereal!"

I'm pleased, and not at all surprised, to see that I was right Grin. This could only come from your awesomely inspired brain. It's really cool to see the before shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
teachart
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012 05:12:46 PM »

Yes! Love it and I knew it was you from the thumbnail too Cheesy! It's awesome that you used so much of your junk drawer and not just one piece from it. He's wonderful and useful, great job  Grin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012 06:18:31 PM »

This is fabulous!
1 drawer.
14 parts.
A TON of creativity!

Suereal, I love how you wrote out the whole anatomy of this creation.
Yes, it does make us wonder what the heck lurks in OUR drawers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
BirdBones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012 10:47:31 PM »

A great creation, suereal! I love all the different parts you used- and the ferocious result Grin I wonder what you would do with all the boxes-of-stuff in my basement Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012 09:38:50 AM »

Awesome bit of recon and totally what the challenge is all about!  Did u name him/her yet?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012 07:58:56 PM »

I have imagination envy.  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012 08:57:47 AM »

Your imagination amazes me!  You seriously rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Bendinger Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Meet Author Ellen Hopkins
Roxanne St. Claire Reveals
The Power Book Trailer
Vincent Flynn Reveals
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...