A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purse organizer (Super image heavy tutorial!)  (Read 4469 times)
Tags for this thread: organizer , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Monterra
« on: April 04, 2012 02:07:33 PM »

So I found out about this through a blog; Tintamar bag organizers and though it was a great idea; I too carry around little things which I forget in the wrong bag when I switch 'em... So of course I needed one! Except that the price tag was interesting *cough* around 30*cough*

After a little venture to the fabric shop and some 6 euros later I came into possession of some polished heavy-duty cotton (I originally wanted some synthetic material but "Enstex" seemed fine for the purpose. The fabric needs to have some stiffnes but preferably not be too heavy to carry around.

This is what I ended up with;

The pattern can be found HERE and I try to explain it; the crappy color coding might help too. Cheesy (or confuse even more) No seam allowances included; include about 1 cm.

RED= x2 inner lining, add +1cm to the top.
BLUE= x2 outer shell
ORANGE= x1 Cell phone pocket (when cutting add some 15cm to lenght for the lipstick pockets)
GREEN= x2 size of lipstick pockets
Pocket part is about 21x14 cm (including zipper)

I cut out two pieces for the outer shell, two pieces for the lining (+1cm height to the top of the pattern for the lining), pieces for the zipper pocket and a long strip for the cell phone pockets+lipstick pockets.

Inner and outer shells.

zipper pocket parts.

Long strip + two smaller pieces cut from it.

Start with the zipper pocket; zigzag the raw ends of the pocket part and turn allowances and pin.

After this pin the zipper down and sew it.

Zadam! The pocket is ready. I was lazy and zigzagged only the raw edges which were "present" outside the inside of the bag...? err, like insides of pockets.

Prepare the lining. This part is otherwise the same but with 1cm extra height on the top part. Zigzag the top part as in the picture and cut to the corner and zigzag the cut area too.

It's easy...

Turn the elongated-top-part sides to the wrong side and sew. This longer top part will make the place for the drawstring.

Sew the lining from the bottom and sides together, wrong sides together.

Flatten the seams.

Whoosh! Steam!

Sew the lining into a "bag" by pinning the bottom hole together and sewing. If we were stupid and did not have markings for the sewing line on the wrong side, we can also measure; as we know the width of the side is 6 cm. (3+3cm per side of bag, if you get it)

Like this!

The long piece (height 11,5cm + allowance) was cut to the lenght of the bag itself with allowances; the leftover bits will become lipstick holders.
Zipzag the top and bottom.

Turn allowances from the long sides; sew the other one (top of pocket) and turn and pin down to the outer shell and sew.

Like this? And try to give the pocket fabric a little slack, as you'll have bulky things put into them.

The smaller bits you cut from the longer pocket part? Shorten to size; I wanted a shorter lipstick pocket so it was about 7 cm tall(+allowance). Zipzag the top, bottom and one side (and the mirror side in the other), turn the top and sew. Cut excess.

To the right size of one of the outer shell pieces, place the zipper pocket, the short lipstick-holder-pockets (zigzagged side facing the zipper pocket), pin down and sew.
Note when placing the zipper pocket and the long cellphone pocket; don't place the bottom edge it right on the bottom crease but a couple of millimeters above, so it looks nicer and is easier to sew. (Above the place where the bag bottom starts...)

Like this!

From the lining you made previously; turn the top flaps down to the wrong side and pin to place.

Sew the outer shell together like the lining, right sides in (pockets inside then turn around so they're on the outside) and pin top allowance.

Place the lining inside with the folded flap thingy between the lining and the outer shell; pin in place and sew around.

Tahad! insert a drawstring using a safety pin and tie/add beads to ends/etc... Your cheapo organizer is ready to go!

It holds by crap, lipsticks/balms, my HTC and work phone, wallet etc... And it is easy to lift from the drawstrings when I want to switch to another bag. Smiley

Of course you could customize your pockets and add more e.g. to the inside, but I like mine compact, just like me. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012 03:04:39 PM »

This is a brilliant idea if you use more than one bag regularly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012 06:41:45 PM »

This is great!  Thanks for the tutorial, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CMFoster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012 03:37:56 PM »

Great idea - and, Awesome tutorial ... thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daisybutter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012 12:54:37 PM »

Oh this is so cool. Going to make two for my youngest daughter, then one for me. Thank you for the tutorial.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012 09:57:46 PM »

OMG... perfect. I thought it would be so hard to make one since I tried one of those rolls with all the pockets that was just unwieldy. This is perfect! A jordy bag with simple pockets and zippered pouch with a space in the center for little things. Books and notebooks can fit around the organizer in a larger bag. Also, tying the top makes it bounce-proof!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Learn how to make an Heirloom Beet and Vidalia Onion Salad
Learn how to Make a Vidalia Onion and Applewood Bacon Vinaigrette
Learn how to Finish a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Learn how to Make the Base for a Vidalia Sweet Onion and Crab Souffle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...