A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recent Stuff  (Read 2289 times)
Tags for this thread: digital_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Batty Bird
« on: April 02, 2012 01:19:58 PM »

Edit:

I felt bad that I never came back to answer some replies in this thread, so I'm bumping it with a couple new digital paintings.

This was mostly done for practice, trying to get the likeness correct.  If it isn't obvious, it's meant to be Grace Kelly.

This is meant for a larger piece that I'm making, mixed media style.  It's a little more sloppy than I like, but I really am short on time, so he's done.

Original Post:

I love craftster so much!  This place inspires me in so many ways, but I'm really bad about contributing, so I wanted to change that.  Today I'm sharing my digital works from this year so far.  I don't know how well digital paintings are received here because of a severe lack of time for browsing, but I hope you all enjoy them.

This was a commission for the cloth diapering blog http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/

Then two sketches colored in PS just for fun:

and finally this was supposed to be a speedpaint for practice, but I spent way too much time on it for it to still be considered one... I still wanted to refine it more, but had to stop myself
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012 08:00:05 AM by Batty Bird » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come leave me some love: http://www.facebook.com/MorganBirchArt
<3
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012 01:35:40 PM »

I really like those last 2! I enjoy a lot of Hitchcock movies. Love the colors on the other and her expression! I am so not an artist and completely admire people like you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Helizabeth
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012 01:36:36 PM »

I love the expression in your third picture! They're all really good  Cheesy The detail you capture is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Batty Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012 03:50:43 PM »

Thank you  Smiley

I adore Hitchcock.  Pure genius... .. but the portrait might have  given that away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012 04:56:08 PM »

Love your digital art, all of it!  Hitchcock in black/white is so appropriate...you captured "old creepy" excellently!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
Homerof2

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012 05:31:17 PM »

I really like your first piece (maybe that's because I used cloth diapers years ago.)

This may be my age showing but I do have to ask, what is digital painting?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliis
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012 02:08:23 PM »

I love them! Just out of interest, have you made your own special brushes or used regular ones (and do you have to adjust them much)? How many layers did you got in b&w one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
Batty Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012 11:09:57 AM »

Thanks for the comments.

Homerof2 - Digital painting is just using a piece of software that allows you to use tools that somewhat replicate physical media.  It's just a lot less messy  Wink

aliis - I always use one brush and that's just the round brush set at the hardest edge.  It's the brush settings that I change.  Depending on what I'm doing, outlining, coloring or what have you, I only toggle a few settings and they're always set to pen pressure (shape dynamics, other dynamics, and sometimes color dynamics).  I've not had luck with special brushes, but have been wanting to give a real go at them for a while.  Some day I plan to let loose and see what happens.

The b&w one was done in one layer as a exercise, but I admit I usually use more layers than necessary.  I'm unable to work in real media at the moment, so I wanted to get as close to actually painting as I could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
aliis
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012 04:32:51 AM »

aliis - I always use one brush and that's just the round brush set at the hardest edge.  It's the brush settings that I change.  Depending on what I'm doing, outlining, coloring or what have you, I only toggle a few settings and they're always set to pen pressure (shape dynamics, other dynamics, and sometimes color dynamics).  I've not had luck with special brushes, but have been wanting to give a real go at them for a while.  Some day I plan to let loose and see what happens.

The b&w one was done in one layer as a exercise, but I admit I usually use more layers than necessary.  I'm unable to work in real media at the moment, so I wanted to get as close to actually painting as I could.

Wow, nice work. And really cool "speed paint practice" Cheesy I never have guts to draw everything in just one layer... I'm always scared that I'll mess it up somehow towards the end Tongue Thank God for Ctrl-z...

I was wondering how you managed to get such a lovely watercolourish look on your girls red shirt, first I thought it was done with Painter's watercolour tools but description says PS (more likely as PhotoShop than PlayStation?)? I have been drooling for PainterX since I got opportunity to use it once (with tilt sensitive A4 Intuos4 *more drool*) and totally fell in love with its ability to blend your own colour palette...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
mandykaye
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012 08:48:47 AM »

Great work! I am in awe of digital art! I am a complete dork when it comes to technicallly advanced stuff (like computers lmbo!) I can't even draw a straight line on the computer let alone paint! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Prep School: How To Do An At-Home Manicure
How to Wear Lip Liner
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: Becca Brush
Expert Reveals Summer Habits That Are Harmful To Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...