Naturally Sweetened Chewy Brownies
*1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
* 2 1/2 bars of unsweetened baker's chocolate (4.5 oz)
* 1 tablespoon unsulphered blackstrap molasses (Healthy! So much iron!)
* 1/2 cup butter (applesauce and coconut oil may work, but I have not tried it)
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3/4 cup flour (I did a mix of quinoa flour and spelt flour)
* 3 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
2. Over medium heat, mix the coconut sugar, chocolate, molasses, and butter until smooth. Stir continually.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Beat together the eggs and vanilla and add to the cooled mixture.
5. Mix together the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Stir in the wet mixture.
7. Pour into the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
8. Allow to cool before frosting or cutting.
Chewy Chocolate Topping
My tied, tested, and true topping. Used here and here.
* 1/3 cup coconut oil
* 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
* 5 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder
1. Place the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the coconut oil is melted.
2. Pour evenly cooled brownies.
3. Place in the freezer until firm, about 10 minutes.
4. Cut into squares.
For more ramblings and an ode to coconut sugar, check out le blog:http://positiveponderings.blogspot.ca/2012/04/naturally-sweetened-chewy-brownies-with.html