A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plus size alternative clothes patterns?  (Read 5075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lloer

Spinning 'til I'm dizzy

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2004 07:59:55 AM »

I'm about a US size 18 (UK 22) and I'm finding it hard to find patterns that I can use with interesting fabrics to make alternative looking clothes.

Does anyone have suggestions? And why are so many plus size patterns actually styles that are quite unflattering to the plus size body shape?

Perhaps my problem is one of visualisation?

Lloer

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My personal blog - www.lloeren.com

My Knitting Book Review blog - http://lloeren.typepad.com/knitbooks/

Free The West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004 10:00:36 AM »

Hello,

I feel for you, Lloer, as I have a plus size bum.  I've found fabric cut on the bias is more forgiving than along the grainline and there are  patterns out there specifically for bias cut.  Vogue has a line called Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina that is purposely sturctured to make for a more flattering fit for the curvier shape.  I've never sewn any of her patterns as they seem to call for better sewing skills than I posses at the moment.  Butterick have fast and easy patterns and Large sizes section. Try www.mccall.com for ideas.  Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeyrocker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004 10:35:03 AM »

I know there are some pattern companies that specialize in plus patterns (like Petite Plus Patterns).  Have you searched on http://www.patternreview.com? If you have some patterns from one of the major manufacturers that you like, you could search for them and see if any curvier sewers have tried them out and what they think of them (many of them have posted pics too, so you can see how the finished product looks on someone a little bigger than the size 2 fashion models they use in the pattern catalog).  I think you have to sign up before being able to look at the reviews, but the membership is free.

Also, have you checked out that book Taunton publishes on sewing for the plus-sized figure? I don't know if it's available in the UK, but the website is http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070395.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004 11:57:08 AM »

I draft a lot of my own patterns (cos I'm damn short, curvy and all that) you may want to look into some books to learn haw to draft your own patterns (or if you have something in mind I have no problem with drafting patterns for people for a low price)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
monkeyrocker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004 12:43:05 PM »

Drafting your own patterns is a great suggestion! Also, learning to grade commercial patterns (there was an issue of Threads that had an article on the subject, as well as numerous books) is great, especially if you like retro patterns.  I have a ton of vintage patterns that are way too small, but I trace them and grade them up and then do my usual alterations (in my case, shortening the waist slightly and increasing the cup size).  

By the way, if you need to do alterations as well as grade up or down, a good hands-on primer is to make a sloper using one of the sloper patterns sold through the major pattern companies (it's usually listed in the very back of the pattern catalog).  Here's info on slopers: http://www.sew-whats-new.com/sewinglessons/sloper.shtml.  I've been sewing forever and made my first sloper just a few months ago; it was so enlightening! I wish I had done it when I first started sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
Asha
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004 12:02:33 PM »

I'm about a US size 18 (UK 22) and I'm finding it hard to find patterns that I can use with interesting fabrics to make alternative looking clothes.

Does anyone have suggestions? And why are so many plus size patterns actually styles that are quite unflattering to the plus size body shape?

Perhaps my problem is one of visualisation?

Lloer

Lloer I have found the same problem. I enjoy alternative clothing but don't want to pay the outlandish price for plus size clothing when I can make it. I have found that playing off a bas pattern works for me. So when I buy a butterik patter I just use it as a base, like a pant, it is very east to make that into a flared leg or add bondage strap rings... I just make sure when Im doing it my own measurements are always on hand for me to compare
Asha=)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarikat

Can you tell I'm an Aries?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004 11:51:09 AM »

Don't forget to check the costuming section of the major pattern books.  They have some great patterns in plus sizes that can be adapted for regular wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004 12:42:24 PM »

Visualization can do a lot.  I'm a pretty average size, but almost ALL the patterns look doggy to me but when I fix them up in cool fabric and add my own touches they look cool.

I guess most of the patterns are directed towards older people (because the big pattern companies haven't figured out yet who's doing the sewing!) and so a lot of times they're pictured with a too-big fit or an ugly fabric or some dorky details.  

So I don't have any specific information, but I can say that if you can find a basic pattern that's pretty close to a style you like you can probably snazz it up with some cool fabric and trims.  Sometimes just that will do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polycotton
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004 09:31:12 AM »

Lloer, I too feel your pain. That's one of the things I like about Vogue patterns - even though they're usually difficult to sew, they all have the little symbol system that shows you what body types their patterns are suited for. The sizes also don't always go up very high, boo.

Anyway. Learning to alter patterns will help a lot, although it can be challenging. Get yourself one of those clear quilting-type rulers, they help a lot, as does having one or two curve guides. Most fashion sewing books have tips on how to alter patterns.

Once you've learned a bit about the process, you can go through the "junior" style clothing patterns - they're usually more hip and interesting, if a bit too trendy sometimes. Burda patterns often have good aesthetics as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayceeann
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004 09:41:53 AM »

I love the idea that someone posted on here about making your own clothing manniquin out of your body shape. I think you could make tops and skirts that flatter. I too have a problem with cool clothes for my size. Apparently big girls all like granny clothes and pastels.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Wear Trendy Short Suits
2013 MTV Movie Awards: Red Carpet Fashion - Selena Gomez, Emma Watson
Kim Kardashian Dons Some Sexy Maternity Wear at the MTV Movie Awards
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...