A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginners inchies swap 3 - SO 30th April  (Read 8013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012 08:35:29 AM »

Scratch that, 6 made Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4x6 Art Swap Fall 2014
kimchery
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012 10:04:40 AM »

where do i find teeny tiny pictures? everything i have is too big! SO frustrating....

I can't be much help on finding tiny pictures on the net to print, I draw or stamp most of my inchies.  But I do have a few suggestions....

Someone mentioned a while ago that what they do is copy paste an image to a google document, and then resize the image so that the focal point will fit within an inchie.  I can't remember who said that, but at the time I tried it and it did work as far as keeping the pictures a good quality.  I only tried it a few times and printed from a friend's printer, I just wanted to make sure I had a back up plan for something that I absolutely needed printed. 

Also, wherever you are looking for images, think outside the box (literally) as far as what will fit within an inch.  If you have an inchie punch, punch a square out of a piece of cardstock or paper and keep it as a template.  Whatever images you are looking at, be it a magazine, or something you drew or printed that is slightly too big, use the template to frame the image and move it around til you find some kind of visual interest.  An example of what I'm talking about is the inchies I received just recently from audio, a regular contributor to the papercrafts board.  They can be viewed here, in the gallery of our last ongoing inchies swap.  The second row have alice in wonderland inchies.  Instead of taking a picture of alice and resizing so she fit into a 1" space, they were manually cropped (and then cut out and stuck to a colored background.)  If you look closely, you will see that the 1st and 2nd ones can even be placed together and form a complete picture of alice.  But with the wording on them, they are just as interesting on their own.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense, and maybe helps a little bit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PlumCrafty
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012 03:03:20 PM »

thanks for the tip, kimchery; there is definitely beauty in the detail as well as in the whole.  Grin

I have been gathering ideas for both my inchie-ees, so am now ready to start getting something down on paper, yay! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
La Chapa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hardcore Yarnie!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012 08:49:39 PM »

Scratch that, 6 made Smiley
Woo hoo! Wink

--------------------------------

Okay, so I just finished some items for another swap that I was in that started before this one.  So, now I can start brainstorming and experimenting on inchies! (2 of my favorite activities)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently Swapping in:
Anatomy Swap, 3-D Bug Swap

Hoping to join:
OWS in Dec
http://pinterest.com/laachapa/
ErintheRed02
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012 10:34:37 PM »

I've only made 4 inchies so far and holy moly have I learned a lot already!

1. If only I papercrafted more!  I'm sure my inchies would be waaaay cooler if I had more papercrafting stuff stashed somewhere.

2. I want--no, I *need* stamps!  Unfortunately, I don't have any at all Sad

3. I feel like I'm getting better with each inchie I do!  This is just too fun Smiley

4. Still debating whether to do it person by person or just do what jumps out at me and go from there.  Hmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafting Blog!
http://nerdyhooker.blogspot.com/

My Pinterest (that I actually use)!
http://pinterest.com/erinthered02/

My wist (always forget to use it but am working on it!):
http://www.wists.com/ErintheRed
BigBangMomma

Addicted to Amigurimi, and afghans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012 07:34:01 AM »

I should have agreed to more than one partner! I surprised myself with my creativity and enjoyment of the inchie. I've finished for LaChapa and will posting in the mail today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

4x6 Art Swap Fall 2014
woobie
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012 08:43:45 AM »

I haven't started yet.. but there is something on one of my partners list that has sparked (what I hope is) a good idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012 04:41:55 PM »

You don't need paper craft supplies - grab what you have around - a magazine, an old book, print some words off from the computer, business cards tourist leaflets, postcards, grab your paints and texters, coloured pencils, buttons, beads, threads, fabric, Oh and an essential - some glue!

I do most of my inchie planning on the computer, find a suitable image, take it to photoshop or similar, crop the bit you want to 2.54cms (that 1"), make any adjustments that you might need and then copy the image onto a blank doc and repeat until you have as many as you need, then print. I sometimes, colour and stick to the print out or I sometimes use a home made light box - or a window to trace them. While I'm totally ok about using a computer planning, I think that the hand made element is really essential, I have only rarely sent just the computer images - smmarrt wanted some based on famous works of art, and well, I'm no artist, it seemed wrong to mess with them, so I just did her twice as many as was required to make up.

My first inchie swap, I made a heap before the swap started, and selected any that were appropriate, made up some more and sent them to the partners, now I tend to craft for the specific person.

Also I would request (although it's not essential) that you put at least your username on the back of your inchies - if not BIS3 or a date too. This helps people identify who made the inchies even once they are all mixed up in a big collection. I found this invaluable when making the list of contributers for this blue inchie frame: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=406492.40;num_replies=46
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarose
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012 09:33:13 PM »

Woo hoo! I had the day off from work so i finished all my inchies Smiley I destroyed 3 magazines and a map, but i did it!
 can't wait to send them out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheManicCrafter
The name is Christy...Christy Angela

All are architects of fate... Longfellow

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012 12:09:34 PM »

I ran out of glue stick of all things, lol, I just know it was the kids that got into it because the ferrets just would have hid it and the dog doesn't have an opposable thumb to open the top  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Free...Craft Hard
My Pinterest http://pinterest.com/MyCuppaCoffee
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Change Game Plan in Backgammon
Holding Game in Backgammon
Why Not to Hit Too Early in Backgammon
Why Not To Do It in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...