A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bathroom window woes  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2005 07:22:00 AM »

I was hoping someone here could help me.  My husband and I just bought our first home and we're having a hard time figuring out what to do with our bathroom window.  I'm not sure who the genius was who decided to install a window IN THE SHOWER, but I'm now left to deal with hiding my naked body from the old man who lives next door. 

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the actual window is IN the shower, so hanging a curtain isn't really an option. 

I've considered using frosted contact paper but I'm not sure how long it will hold up with the steam and water from the shower. 

I read through the post about glass etching and there was no mention of etching a window in your house.  Has anyone tried this? 

Anyone have any other ideas that might help me?  I'm looking for a permanent fix here, so all ideas are welcome.

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005 07:35:51 AM »

Um, the etching thing should work just fine, if the window in there is real glass.

A few more options would be replacing the window glass with tinted or distorted glass (if you can take the window out) or even stained glass if you're super-handy.   

As far as curtains go, maybe you could use oil cloth (like table cloth stuff) or even vinyl, and just give it a spritz and wipedown with bathroom cleaner every once in a while.  Or a couple layers of beaded curtain would probably work, depending on how much privacy you want.

Now, I don't know if any of this will actually work, but I thought I'd just throw some ideas at ya  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005 07:36:44 AM »

if you're looking to do a huge reno, you should try glass blocks, as per this scan of a bathroom remodelling book i took out from the library:

(dear authors of "Reinvent your Bathroom", please don't sue me.)
if you don't want the trouble, just put a regular vinyl (i think) roll up shade in there for now... thats what we had in our old apartment's bathroom. sure, it was ridiculous if you tried to roll it up just a little bit, and it flew all the way up, and you were clutching at yourself to conceal your *ahem* areas... but its easier/cheaper to install..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
zisforzillah
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005 07:52:21 AM »

I think everyone is on the right track with the "changing of the glass" ideas.

The last apartment I lived in (before buying my house) had a crappy, aluminum-clad window in the shower.  I didn't want to make any kind of lasting improvement, and just trimmed down and hung a few layers of translucent shower curtain.  That way, there was still a nice influx of light on sunny days, we were able to maintain modesty, and it also kept the draft down tremendously in the winter (like I said, crappy, aluminum-clad window).

I know you don't need anything else to worry about, but make sure that the seals on the window and surrounding area are in good condition-- ours was on the second floor, and we sometimes had leaking happen in the wall/window directly below.  Ack.  I hung a potted plant there to minimize the need for cleanup.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005 09:19:21 AM »

what about getting an old/cheap picture frame with glass that would roughly occupy most of the space of the window, and paint a stained glass type motif on it with those paints available at the craft store? i'd attach some short lengths of chain to the frame, two cup hooks inside the corners of the window frame to hold the chains, then hang up your stained glass. it would be really pretty, and not permanent like etching.  hth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005 03:44:02 PM »

I believe you, I have a window over the bath tub/shower, too.   Fortunately, my bathroom faces a wooded hillside.  But I do have a next door neighbor that has two teenage boys.  I just put up a blind, and have a pretty valance over that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005 05:09:53 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Princess Sara
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005 03:56:36 PM »

A quick fix and something I've done before is to use oil pastels and color in the pane(s), it gives a good stained glass feel and you can match the colors to the decor.  An added bonus is that if you do decide to move some day, you can scrape it off.

By the way, you don't have to be an artist, you could always color each pane a solid color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmoo
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005 04:03:26 PM »

Tension rods work well if there's any depth to the window at all-you can use a vinyl tablecloth and sew rod pockets on each end, and wedge the tension rods into the window.

If you can screw cup hooks into the upper portion of the window, just put buttonholes in a rectangle of fabric slightly bigger than the window and hang it up there-take it down and wash it when it looks ooky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005 11:08:41 PM »

There is a product out there, available at Home Depot, that you put on with water and then squeegie out the air bubbles.  It's some kind of cling plastic and I don't think it comes off unless you peel it off.  It might do in a pinch until you can decide what you want to do permanently.  Here's what I found on it:

Light Effects
Texture 12 Textured Colorless Privacy Film 36 in. by 72 in. Each
Model 02-3202

Light Effects colorless privacy film creates the visual effect and sparkle of textured glass without replacing the glass in your windows and doors. Light Effects refracts light giving the film a three dimensional quality. Made of thin, flexible, U.V. protected film, it self-adheres to smooth glass without the use of adhesives. It provides privacy or hides an unwanted view and is easy to install and remove. Patterns match end to end, horizontally or vertically, can be cut to fit unique shapes.

Cutting edge technology; new patent
  Refracts Light for the Visual Effect of Textured Glass
  Window Film available in 24 In. x 36 In. and 36 In. x 72 In. Sizes
  Easy to Install and Remove, Uses No Adhesives
  Provides Privacy
  Obscures an Unwanted View
  Provides U.V. Protection
  Trim down or add panels to fit window

(or search for "window film")

ps. I plan on using it for my bedroom window (if the contractor ever shows up to put in the new ones).  I like the effect and prefer the privacy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005 11:16:13 PM by mireneh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
blueblythe
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005 07:00:21 AM »

Ikea sells the same window film that mireneh is describing. Its in the same section as the curtains and i think its called amorf rutta.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph with a Point and Shoot Camera
How to use Light to Create Dynamic Images
How to Shoot marketing portraits
How to Photograph a Very Young Baby
How to Photograph a Nine Month Old Baby
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...