A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a dress form, but not with tape.  (Read 879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellianneeee
« on: April 01, 2012 10:18:25 AM »

I was thinking of drafting up a pattern to make a dress form out of 100% cotton fabric, building a core, and stuffing the rest with the 5 lbs of stuffing I have. My problem is, how would I make the pattern? Would it just kinda be a modified dress pattern that would be skin tight? If I took a dress pattern that fit me perfectly, would that work (if there is a zipper in the pattern I would just sew it all shut)? I have scoliosis and am not noticeably crooked, but enough that my hips and shoulders are uneven. I don't have the money to buy one from the store, and I just don't think it'd be the same because of my crookedness. :/ Any advice? I don't have the slightest clue on how to do this.
I don't really know if this is the right place to put this, but it seemed logical since it'd be for clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
tigergirl
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012 05:34:31 AM »

In order for this to work the dress you make would have to fit like a second skin - very, very snug. Princess line seams would probably be your best bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellianneeee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012 02:40:30 PM »

How would I go about drafting up a pattern with princess seams? The only pattern I've made before was the corset for my prom dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
tigergirl
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012 10:28:59 PM »

If you're drafting it, whatever drafting book you've got should have instructions on how to alter the basic block to one with princess seams, otherwise you'd need to buy a pattern with princess seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penguillama
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012 10:24:17 PM »

I'm not expert, but I feel like fabric wouldn't make a sturdy dress form--or at least, not enough to preserve its shape on its own. if you don't want to go down the paper tape/duct tape route, you could use paper mache.

I forgot where I found it, but you could try googling it. basically wrap yourself in paris plaster, and when it's sturdy enough cut it in half. then make a TON of paper mache from newspapers and line the inside. wait for it to dry (might take a week), remove from plaster cast, repair any cracks, and voila.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012 10:26:19 PM by Penguillama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mein Kampf Is Still A Best Seller?
Simon Sinek on Working With a Book Editor to Refine Your Writing
Simon Sinek on Learning a New Way to Write a Book
Simon Sinek on Improving Writing Skills by Embracing the Unfamiliar
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...