A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for fiber content of this old thread  (Read 934 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimadagem
« on: March 31, 2012 08:35:36 AM »

Hello all,
In clearing out my mother's sewing box I found a lot of thread spools, including these three that are labeled "Coats and Clark's Button and Carpet Thread":

Here's a closeup of one of the spools:

Sewing is not one of the crafts I do but I thought I could use this thread for bead crafts because it's thick and looks strong, and the neutral colors would be good choices. I'd like to have a better idea of how it will wear, though, so I have two questions:

1) Is anyone familiar with this thread, and if so, do you know the fiber content? I have some upholstery thread that I bought a few years ago that worked well for bead crochet; it was nylon. But this thread is much older - probably from the 1950s or '60s (if it helps, I can say that all the spools are wood; I just don't know when they switched to plastic spools). It is a bit shiny and when I look at it closely I can see the twist in it.

2) Would this still be good to use? I'm wondering if thread deteriorates over time. I ask not just for my own crafts but because I found a lot of other thread too, including Dual Duty and a bunch of spools of silk, and it would help me decide what to do with it.

I was going to contact Coats & Clark and ask them about it but their contact form asks for a lot of personal information and the page isn't secure, so I'm reluctant to do that. I could call them but I thought I'd try here first because I can include pictures. If you know anything about this thread I would really appreciate any information you could provide.

Thank you!

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012 06:32:01 PM »

For fiber content, you could try doing a burn test (just google it).  Since it's thread and not fabric, it may not be as easy to tell, but you should be able to see if it's melting or burning, which will tell you if it's cotton or synthetic.

Thread definitely deteriorates.  Hold a length about a foot long between your hands and pull.  If it breaks easily, don't sew with it.  You may also find that it tangles more easily (at least, this is what I find with my grandma's old thread).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
kimadagem
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012 08:24:51 AM »

Thank you Claude Cat, that definitely helps. I did think about a burn test but have never done one and am kind of nervous about it so was hoping to avoid having to do it.

The thread on the other spools does break easily; some of it was tangled and the only way to deal with it was to break it. The thread on the wooden spools is mostly silk and it also breaks easily so I guess it's not usable either, but maybe the empty spools will be good for crafting; I'll do some research and if I can't find a way to use them that fits what I do I'll probably donate them. I hate to pitch things that could be repurposed. (Hmm - maybe the plastic spools could too... Smiley  )

The button and carpet thread doesn't break easily; in fact, I couldn't get it to break at all. I may have to try the burn test with it - *if* I can find a safe way to do it! I'll report back if I can pull that off.

Thank you again. I'm off to research burn tests.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JerseyGal
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012 05:42:59 PM »

I too have a stash of "inherited thread" just like this in a couple of brands.  I imagine it was made of cotton "in the day" but I can't find any content on any of the spools either and googling the term didn't help with the content.  It seems very strong and I have used it without its breaking.  My new spools of b and c are cotton-covered polyester.  The shiny coating is to make it resistant to tangling.  Go ahead and use it for crafting/hand sewing - doubt it will break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012 06:25:53 PM »

What kind of craftster are you if you're afraid to torch a little thread?

Use an ashtray or old saucer, wad up about a foot of thread, and touch a match to it.  You aren't going to get a huge blaze. 

for thread or fabric:
If the result is ashy, with a burnt wood smell, you've got a plant-based fiber like cotton, linen, or rayon. 
If it's black and melty, with a chemical smell, it's petroleum-based synthetic like polyester
If it doesn't burn well and smells like burnt dog, it's animal-based, like wool or silk.

sometimes just the outer thread on a spool gets wrecked; you cold try unreeling several layers and strenght testing it again to see if there's anything salvageable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimadagem
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012 08:25:40 AM »

What kind of craftster are you if you're afraid to torch a little thread?

A cautious one.

This is an old thread. As Aislynn suggested, I did research burn tests and found lots of information, but I've been busy with other (non-crafty) things so the B&C has been put away. If I do decide to test it I will report back here in case others who have the same thread would like to have that information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Double Life of Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Utilize the Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Make Selections Quickly and Accurately in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Modify a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use an Alpha Channel as a Mask in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...