A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Very Manly Sweater  (Read 22208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimbabwe
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2005 09:12:06 AM »

Wow. You guys have all done such a great job on your manly sweaters!!

I just cast one for this last night and got about 2" done. I can see this is going to be a teeeeedious project! But I'm committed and I can't wait to complete my first real sweater -- and ideally by Christmas so my fiance can promptly reject it. Or he'll try it on and find that it would only fit an alien. I'm nervous about screwing up...!

I just hope that mine turns out as well as all of the awesome sweaters posted here!

Cheers!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2005 07:18:21 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me out here. I hope this makes sense!

I am just nearing the end of the back of the Manly Sweater and have just gotten to the neck & shoulder shaping. To begin that shaping, it says bind off 8 sts (I'm doing the large). No problem.

Then it says work 28 sts and turn.

Now, here's my question. After I bind off 8 stitches, I am left with one stitch on the right needle; it's the last stitch that I hopped over to bind off the 8th stitch (you have to knit 9 stitches to bind off Cool. Do I count this stitch in my "work 28 sts"?? Or do I work 28 sts from here, thus leaving me with 29 sts on the right needle before I turn?

It seems elementary, but I'm really not sure how many stitches I should ultimately have on the right needle before I turn! And it's a difficult thing to try and search the web for, as I'm not sure how to word it!

Any help that anyone could provide would be fabulously appreciated. Thank you!

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyKT5
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2005 05:49:52 PM »

I haven't completed the whole sweater yet, but I did make both the front and back.  I counted that stitch towards the 28.  (I'm actually making the medium, but same principle, I just have a different number of stitches.)  I remember I was unsure at that point, too, but I counted out all of the stitches to make sure that's what you were supposed to do and I'm pretty sure that's what is meant.  It worked out that way for me at least as long as I'm remembering correctly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2005 06:21:03 AM »

Thanks, Amy!

I finally just chanced it, after doing out the math in my head and assuming just what you said -- I counted that stitch toward the 28 -- and everything worked out perfectly! I love it when that happens! (I just wish it happened more often...)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2005 05:41:34 PM »

Here's my progress so far... I've completed the back (see below) and am about 11" into the front. Still on target to complete before Christmas!

I'm using Lamb's Pride worsted in Medieval Red (main color), with the bands in Loden Leaf and Oatmeal.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 09:08:01 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MmmKnits
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2005 10:43:28 AM »

Yours looks great, Kimbabwe! I just finished the back of mine, and am about to embark on the front (spent a good two hours last night obsessively planning out my rows to make sure it would end up the same exact length as the back). Since my boyfriend commented on how much he liked it when he saw it, I'm just doing it in the color pattern suggested in the book, but I like yours even better. It's slow going right now, since I'm trying to make it a surprise and can only work on it when he's not around (difficult, since we live together), but I'm confident I can get it done before Christmas.

One question for all of you Manly Sweater knitters out there: Mine is coming out fine lengthwise, but seems a bit tight in the width (the ribs disappear unless I'm holding them apart). This is something I can correct with blocking, right? I swatched rather lackadaisically, I admit, and am now nervous that I overestimated my ability to block it up to the correct gauge. Advice? Commiseration? Bueller? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
awkward wave
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2006 10:45:09 AM »

So I'm bumping this thread again... has anyone had any issues with the sleeves on this sweater?  I am making an XL for my husband.  In order for me to get through all of the increases that are listed in the pattern, I have to knit about 6 inches past the end of the color pattern, which makes the sleeve waaaaay long.  I am about to start the shaping for the cap and the bottom section is already well past the 20" that the diagram shows.  Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2006 11:41:33 AM »

Yep, I'm just finishing up the seaming on mine (I did a Large), and I had to go back and re-do the sleeves just like a LOT of other people had to do in here. When I followed the pattern, the sleeves came out a) too long and b) too wide at the top, so that when I sewed them into the body, there was too much fabric left over and the sleeve join at the shoulder was all puckered and ruffly.

So I frogged back to the last row of the top 1" stripe, did the "In MC, work 1 row even," and then started the decreases again, but instead of decreasing 1 at each end every OTHER row, I decreased at both ends EVERY row, 11 times, then continued with the decreases every row 14 more times, according to the pattern.

So after the work 1 row even in MC, I did the BO 3 row twice and then worked a total of 25 rows (again, this was for a Large), decreasing 1 stitch at each end every row. Then did the final BO rows according to the pattern. This made my sleeves the perfect size, both in overall length and in width up at the cap. And, as a bonus, it also caused my body stripes to line up perfectly with my sleeve stripes on both sides.

Take a look through this thread -- a bunch of others had the same issue and did the same thing I did -- this is where I found out how to fix the problem! Thank God for Craftster!

Good luck, and post if you have any questions about how to rework.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
awkward wave
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2006 01:32:25 PM »

Thank you so much, Kimbabwe!  I'm going to give it a try and see how the sleeve comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2006 07:05:53 PM »

Finally!

My first real sweater is complete. Took me a total of about 5 months from beginning to end (might have been easier to start with a baby sweater instead of a men's Large, but hey), but I ignored it for a bit after I realized that I had to frog and re-do the sleeve caps. I also got lured by a couple of other knitting projects over the last month or so, and every time my fiance would see me working on anything except his sweater, he'd say "That's not my sweater! You can't start knitting something else before you finish my sweater!"

Anyway, he seems quite happy with it and I'm more than relieved that the fit is right. The sleeves are still a bit too long, but he doesn't seem to mind cuffing them and I'd far prefer that they be too long than too short!

Phew! I'm very glad that this sweater is done.

[Sorry the photos aren't the greatest quality; when I resize down to the acceptable size to upload, they kinda' lose their sharpness...]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 08:40:25 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matthew Modine on Working with Stanley Kubrick
What Matthew Modine Learnt from Brilliant Directors
White Balance Chronicles Part 5
How to Get a Film Grant
White Balance Chronicles
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...