A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Very Manly Sweater  (Read 21878 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004 10:33:12 AM »

hey tooms,

i haven't made this, but i think i get what it's telling you to do. i can't explain it in words, so here's a picture:

the white part is the sweater and the gray part is the neckband. one skinny end of the neckband is sewn to the sweater itself, and the other skinny end is not sew to the sweater, but to part of the long end of the neckband (where the dark back line is in my illustration). make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
tooms
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004 06:16:15 AM »

You are my hero.  I would never have figured this out without the diagram - I was having some sort of brain failure.  What I had done is joined and knit the neckband in the round - I guess I figured circular needle, round collar, must be in the round, no?  No.  So then when it came time to sew down an edge, the only edge I had was the bind-off edge of the whole neckband.  Sigh.  So, I frogged and redid the neckband, and it is looking lovely.  Hurrah! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2004 07:27:12 AM »

Agh, I need help with this! I'm near the end of the back and cannot figure out the instructions. I'm at the part where it says to BO 8 stitches, work 25, turn, and place remaining stitches on a holder. Which are the "remaining" stitches? The ones I just did, or the ones I haven't done yet? I read ahead in the instructions to see if that would clarify things, but I was only more confused....could anyone clarify?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2004 08:29:44 AM »

Agh, I need help with this! I'm near the end of the back and cannot figure out the instructions. I'm at the part where it says to BO 8 stitches, work 25, turn, and place remaining stitches on a holder. Which are the "remaining" stitches? The ones I just did, or the ones I haven't done yet? I read ahead in the instructions to see if that would clarify things, but I was only more confused....could anyone clarify?

i'm pretty sure it's telling you to put the ones that you did NOT just work on the holder. because then you're turning and binding off for the neck and continuing to work the other shoulder. later when the one shoulder is finished, you'll take the opposite side off the stitch holder and work it to match the shoulder you already finished. does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
ultraviolet
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2004 07:22:01 PM »

Ok, I just started this whole long-winded post about how I still didn't understand the instructions, but now I think I've figured it out. It seemed strange to me that the stitches weren't divided evenly, but it looks like a whole bunch of stitches are left on the holder to deal with later. That's what was throwing me off.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
beebiz

Pool on the roof must have a leak.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2005 08:44:05 AM »

Help....(and I know I can get it here from all you crafty gals)...my hubby is drooling over this sweater.  I've tried to show him other ones but this is what he wants.  This will be my first sweater attempt, and I have read the directions over and over again.  I don't understand when she says to work something at the same time....What does this mean? Work what at the same time.  I have read it over and over, looked at the pictures and can't get my mind around it.  It is probably something insanely easy, but I'm clueless.  I'm about to go out and buy the yarn (yay) and I'm dying to get started on it. If I could get some help, I would greatly appreciate!!

btw...everyone else's sweaters look amazing, and I hope mine turns out as well!

Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2005 09:33:13 AM »

So it's telling you to work in k5 p1 ribbing for 16 1/2". The "at the same time" part refers to the colors you will be using during that 16 1/2" of ribbing. You will do the first 8 1/2" of ribbing in the main color, then work the color pattern (listed above) which is 8"  and that comes out to 16 1/2".

This is the first sweater I've made that uses a color pattern, so it threw me off a bit too. I've done the back and I'm about 2/3 done with the front. Let me know if the above isn't clear and I'll try to explain further. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beebiz

Pool on the roof must have a leak.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2005 10:31:59 AM »

Thank you.  I was trying to read more into it.  I will be alright until I get to the armholes and neck, but I'm going to try and figure it out....if not, I'll be back.

Thanks!
Bee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tooms
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005 09:26:18 AM »

Hooray!

Hope I posted the photo correctly.  It's been sent off to my friend, who should be getting back from a trip to see it any day now...I'm all frustrated that he's off vacationing when there are sweaters to be tried on and approved of!!!  Sigh...priorities.

Thanks to all for the help with the collar and the sizing and everything.  I went with the original colors because I just liked them so much, though I am considering a second one in tan with a blue stripe and cream border...

It will have to wait, though, because I just got the second book, which has even more patterns I want to create from than the first, so all in good time.

Lord, I hope this thing fits.  Hard to make sweaters for people who live across an ocean.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tooms
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005 09:28:27 AM »

Oh, I should also mention...I had to do what seemingly everyone else did - rip back the sleeve caps and redo them without the extra seven non-increase rows, to make them fit the sweater body.  When I first sewed them in, there was no way to do it without getting a weird "ruffly" effect, which of course men would loathe.  They were just too big, but eliminating those rows makes them perfect.  Since so many have had this issue on Craftster, maybe it warrants a change in the pattern?  Just a thought.  Anyway, loving it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use an External Flash
How to Take Pictures in Shadow
How to Take Pictures in Bright Sunlight
How to Take Nude Portraits
Marty Stuart Photography Slideshow
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...