A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giant Star Quilt  (Read 1308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2012 01:55:48 PM »

This quilt was a gift for my aunt and uncle for Christmas. I made it following this tutorial. I love that big blocky look, but I I'd been taught quilt pieces could only be the width of your hand or smaller. Now I've made this quilt I feel comfortable working on a bigger scale. Anyways, on to the pictures!

I wish I'd taken more time with the photos -- I just took these with my iPhone and the colours are off, especially in the paler fabrics, which are not nearly so white. The fabrics for the star were all from Liberty of London and mostly Kaffe Fassett prints. I went to London in August and though that store is unbelieeeeeevably expensive, I had to get some fat quarters and off-cuts as souvenirs.

With my foot to show some sense of scale. Each square is 18"x18".

The back. You can see I didn't quilt it densely at all. I love that look, but I've been having a lot of trouble with puckering lately. I quilted the plain corner squares into eighths.

All folded up and ready to be shipped.

A closeup of the label. I embroidered it all myself and learned a lot of new stitches. T and T are my aunt and uncle's initials. It's a Sublime Stitching design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lillibet
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012 03:10:12 PM »

Well, I think I've just found the pattern for the next quilt I'm going to make! I've always loved the look of the star quilts, but never been able to face the thought of making star block upon star block upon star block... This looks like the best way to fix that!

I also think the fabrics you've chosen work really well, as the big prints don't get too overwhelming when used in big areas like that. Congratulations on your quilt, it's wonderful and I hope your aunt and uncle loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madkaysea
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012 09:39:51 AM »

Always love star quilts, yours is great!  And a big wow on the label, it looks fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012 06:03:52 PM »

I love this idea!  I had been thinking about doing a huge star quilt for a while, but didn't want to take the time to work out the math of it . . . or whatever lazy excuse was keeping me from trying.  I may have to try this for my next quilt!  After I make my daughter a bathrobe and finish some other projects I have lined up!  Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012 08:42:02 PM »

Love your label!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012 11:59:49 PM »

This is such a fantastic idea, and as noted at the end of the tutorial, the technique can be applied to so many other blocks as well!

The size of squares as used here (18") is perfect for fat quarters, but you could also easily scale things up for an even larger quilt, or down and make two or three smaller-but-still-giant blocks for a rectangular quilt.

Oh, yeah, this definitely goes to the top of the list....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012 11:16:10 AM »

I have heard of doing a block in a large scale but I had forgotten about it.  This would be an easy way to use up fabric and get some quilts made. Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
cursive_queen
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012 02:27:52 PM »

awesome job, I like the mix of prints.
I love this pattern - I've made one quilt with it and have started a second - the scale of it is fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Marshmallow Treats Featuring Your Favorite Cereals
Angel Food Trifle Recipe from Weight Watchers
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Vanilla Bean Brioche Recipe
How to Make Grilled Peaches With Amber Agave Ricotta
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...