A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Airheads bags  (Read 1261 times)
Tags for this thread: ink_jet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antidigger
« on: March 29, 2012 02:14:33 PM »

Back to the now old fashioned iron-on inkjet transfers.

This is yet another in the "we're mad on kiteing" series Wink. This time I've created the goodie bags for us to give out to all the other teams at the World Championships. My hubby was going to do this, but then got overwhelmed with late nights at work, so I took over. He'd ordered blank tote bags, because even though he's better with a sewing machine than me, he knew he'd be busy, just not how busy.

So, I took our team's logo, reversed it, and printed it out on the cheapo unbranded transfer paper he'd bought. (Bad idea, my advice: pay the extra, get quality.) I cut the logos out, curving the corners so there would be less lift off. Then I ironed all the bags, all 16 of them. I made myself a template so the prints would all be in roughly the same place on the bags. The next bit was a lot of trial & error.

The instructions on the packet said, turn the iron onto it's hottest setting, press down and iron the print on a hard surface, cardboard was recommended. So first of all, of course, I tried that. Bah Humbug  Huh the print singed if I pressed the iron down long enough to seal it to the surface. One sepia toned print then. So the next time I decided to keep the iron moving all the time, it took ages, but still singed Huh, so that was 2 sepia toned prints. The third time I turned the iron down a little, still singed, but markedly reduced, so the fourth time I turned it down a little more: this time it took ages to seal, but did so without singing  Smiley. Unfortunately the peel off paper failed to do so entirely on those last two. So, 2 very sepia toned prints, one slightly sepia print with a snippet of paper still on, and one nice print with a snippet of paper. So I carried on, number 5 & 6 were ok, no paper left on, number 7 came out a bit stripy, number 8 came out even more stripy
and with a snippet of paper left on Huh. I looked a little harder and it was the same pattern as the ridges in the corrugated cardboard, so out went the cardboard. I didn't have anymore cardboard of an appropriate size without corrugations so I decided to try the padded ironing board. Number 9 came out with no stripes Smiley. There was one more of the batch that came out with a bit of paper stuck on. A couple came out with incomplete sealing, but that could be easily rectified with a little more ironing on the backing paper. So final count is 3 sepia toned prints, 4 with paper stuck on, 2 stripy and 8 good ones.  Sad. Minimum needed were 15. I decided I could live with the sepia and the stripes, but the stuck on paper was a problem. I peeled off what I could but the paper delaminated Sad. I wondered if I could re-iron to loosen it- it bonded stronger to the bag Shocked Angry.
So the next try was to wet the paper and rub it off (like the packing tape transfers!), that worked in the 3 remaining bags, but not on the one I'd re-ironed Sad

So, after all that, here is my stack of 15 useable bags Smiley. The perfect number Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012 05:55:02 PM »

Lots of work, and all sorts of challenges, but you did it. With great results, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012 02:59:54 PM »

Aww, thank you. And thank you for reading all the long and winding story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012 08:10:05 PM »

That turned out wonderfully! I love the design, so clean and modern.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012 08:10:36 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012 08:19:34 PM »

They look really professional, Antidigger! Great job. Your logo is awesome - Air Heads! What a clever name for a kite team!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012 10:00:41 PM »

Well that one looks pretty great and I love your team's name too!  Having had my own trials and tribulations with that iron on transfer paper I admire your tenacity Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012 08:52:39 AM »

For some reason, I've never tried the ink jet transfer method. I love how your bags turned out! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012 11:41:16 AM »

That is one lucky team...I hope you let them know your wonderful story of trials and tribulations!  I love that you shared your "boo-boo's" with the world...it makes it an even more fun post to read that we can all relate to!

They turned out wonderful, in my opinion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012 01:26:20 PM »

Just to let you all know, my team, the Airheads, came 10th in the World Sport Kite Championships, a respectable position given that we've only been competing for a year. I'm very pleased.

P.S. I've updated with this message on all the project boards I've posted about it on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Practice Drawing Bulldog
How to Draw a Duck
How to Draw a Dog
How to Draw a Lion
How to Draw an Eagle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...