A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question About Reclaimed Yarn  (Read 536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ADDCrafting
« on: March 28, 2012 03:11:18 PM »

I just finished skeining all the yarn from my first sweater unraveling and I have a few questions. Do I need to wash the yarn afterwards? Or does it depend on the fiber content? The one I just finished is 100% cotton and was washed before being unraveled, although I'm not sure how recently. However, I have a few other sweaters in the waiting that aren't machine washable (silk, merino wool, and a blend). Some of them were from a thrift store, so the yarn should probably be washed at some point, but I'm not sure when.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012 06:23:19 AM »

I think I read somewhere that the yarn should be washed after it has been unraveled... I think because things can get stuck in the stitches that won't wash out when washed as the garment, and washing after unraveling will get all of that out too.

It seems like the sort of thing that might come down to personal preference.

If it were me, I'd probably wash it after unraveling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimadagem
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012 09:17:46 AM »

I've done this only once but I did wash the yarn after I unraveled the sweater; it helped get the kinks out and made it easier to use. So I think washing the skeins before you use them is a good idea, and maybe in the case of the thrift shop sweaters - a necessity. But I'll put in a plug here for handwashing; that's what I did with mine (I'm a handspinner and washing skeins is one of the things you get used to doing when you make your own yarn). Handwashing is a bit tedious but it's easier on the yarn and you could use it for everything you find, including the wool and silk yarns.

I won't go into the details here but if you have questions you might want to check out the spinning section in the Fiber Arts forum here, or any good handspinning site should have that information. It's not really complicated, it would just take a while to explain.

I hope that helps, and I would love to see pictures of your new creations when you get them finished.

Meg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All my articles are listed on

http://www.kimadagem.weebly.com/
ADDCrafting
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012 02:30:19 PM »

Oh goodness, I'd never put the skeins in the machine. I decided to handwash the sweaters before unraveling, as machine washing them would be expensive ($1.25/load, and only three to go in that load). The smell of the wool sweater wet totally threw me off. I washed it twice thinking that it didn't get enough soap the first time. Then I looked it up and discovered it's probably just because it smells like wet sheep, and I couldn't recognize the smell. >.<

I may wash the skeins after unraveling, depending on the level of crimp. It seems like most people who advocate washing after unraveling are concerned with the crimp of the yarn. I'm not terribly picky, though, as I have a bunch of yarn that I practice with that is really crimpy but works up well enough for my taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sew, crochet, bead, make natural toys for kitties, and so much more.
Homepage | Etsy | Zibbet | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
6 Ways to Look Great While Going Gray
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...