A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Letter-Sized Swap - DC Required?  (Read 5429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 28, 2012 01:32:09 PM »

I'm getting ready to open up a swap for felt badges and I suspect that they will be small enough to fit into a standard envelope and mailed with a first class stamp.

While that sure makes shipping easier/cheaper, I'm not sure that it complies with the swapping rules that state a DC# is required.

If swappers accept the risk of having to remake their item if it gets lost in the mail, is it acceptable to not require a DC#?

I will probably cruise around to some of the ATC and inchie swap details to see how things are done there but thought I'd post the question here as well.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012 03:04:08 PM »

The swap rules say only papercraft swaps are exempt and I'm pretty positive we stick to that. Let a swap mod chime in for sure though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012 03:06:38 PM »

Ohhhh! Good to know. I can submit an official ticket for it too.

I checked out the papercraft swaps and followed that model but I can certainly adjust the swap details. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012 04:50:14 PM »

It is just paper crafts that are exempt to my knowledge, for other flat items we advise that a little padding be used to get them fat enough for a DC#.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012 08:29:35 AM »

The letter-size swaps I've been in have said "no DC required, but must be willing to re-send" 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012 01:20:58 PM »

Sorry, but if it's not paper, there has to be a dc.

We tried being lenient with other small objects, but it just got too complicated and people started bending the rules no matter what the size of the swap, so we had to draw the line somewhere, and it was at paper.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012 05:53:35 PM »

If you ball up a small piece of paper and put it in the envelope with whatever you're sending it puffs the envelope up large enough to where you can have a DC added to it, without adding any real weight.  I do this all the time with envelope packages I used to send through Ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazyda79

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012 06:31:27 PM »

One styrofoam packing peanut can raise the package to proper DC# width and does not add any weight also.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
131/50 swaps
97/50 friends/family
228/50 total
LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012 06:47:56 PM »

Thanks for all these great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012 05:22:22 PM »

Huh

I have been very confused with these rules.  So confused that I have gone to the post office to inquire about certain packages I have gotten through swaps.  According to the post office, if you send a regular letter sized envelope, it CANNOT have a DC, unless you send it priority mail, which is automatically 5.15 (not including the DC).  Its not JUST regular sized envelopes, but any that can fit through their mail slot (they have a template at every counter at every post office I've been to) which is only about 1/8'' thick.  That means even if you put something like a knitted or crochet motif, FELT, even multiple notecards into a padded envelope and it fits through the slot, they don't weigh it.  It is automatically the priority mail envelope fee. 

Yes, you can put some sort of padding in there to make the package thicker, often it is lightweight and with a Dc may only be under 2.00 to ship.  This is what I always do when I'm not involved in a paper swap, because I always pick things that are lightweight to ship. 

This doesn't stop people from sending these small thin things in regular envelopes.  I guess lots of people who live in bigger areas have the do it yourself post system.  I got two teeny tiny crochet bookmarks in a regular envelope that did a DC on it in a swap awhile ago. And I got nailed for extra postage.  Since the person had only paid for the weight of the envelope and DC, it cost them 1.50 or something like that, and I had to pay the rest of the 4 whatever fee.  I have gotten other things packed like this that did get to me without having to pay extra, and that's why I brought 2 items very similar to the post office for them to explain.  They said that anything as thin as a letter that has a DC should have that huge stupid fee attached, and sometimes they slip through.  I think it slips through a lot, but when it doesn't, it leads to problems.  I was organizing a swap where someone had to pay the extra fee and they were very upset.  Even though the sender sent her something extra to make up for it (as per a mod's suggestion) I have noticed the receiver has never done another swap, actually hasn't visited this website again.  And I do admit, I was not happy to pay the fee, but what can you do except make a stink to the person who sent?  I let it go.  However, you see how the postal rules kinda screw up things for smaller swaps like this.  For this swap, how many people who are unfamiliar with postal rules do you think will send a felt badge in a regular envelope and get a DC if they can?  Probably quite a few. 

So, what can you do? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do School Girl Hairstyles
How to Use Almond Oil for Healthy Hair
How to Do a Curly Half Updo
How to Use Hair Dryer Attachments
How to Do Cute Hairstyles for Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...