A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Building a page? Do you always make a whole book? How about letters?  (Read 1271 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sonja_Amsterdam
Absolute beginner

Stopped trying, started doing.

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2011 01:38:10 PM »

Dear scrapbook-enthousiasts,

I am getting started with scrapbooking, or I should say, I am trying to start scrapbooking but I am getting a bit overwhelmed and would like to ask you how approach the following:

Making a scrapbook page (or more, depending on the amount of photos or the event) seems like quite a time consuming event. And if I was to scrapbook all my photos (as I would with a 'normal' photo-album) I don't think I'd ever start for fear of never getting it all done. But is this really the way to look at it? Would you scrapbook all your pictures/events? Or do you have a seperate scrapbookalbum to hold your SB-pages/layouts?

And how do you then build/design a page? I have bought quite a lot of paper and loads of sticker for embelishments but really I have no idea where to start? I am really overwhelmed by all the 'stuff'. Do you start with the picture, add colours/papers and so on? Do you finish a whole page or work on it in stages depending on what you find? Or do you collect bits and pieces over time and when you've got sufficient stuff do you start putting it together? And if so, how/where do you keep it?

Finally, I have to ask you about letters, from what I've seen in books about scrapbooking letters are really important to a layout but where do you get them or how do you make them? Do you buy letter stickers? Doesn't that get expensive? Do you re-use letters from the same stickers then? Or do you cut them by hand? Or with a machine? I've seen bought letters and die cut machine letters and I get the feeling it can turn into an expensive part of your layout. And how do you get letters on the page to be straight?

Really curious to hear how you approach these things.

Regards,

Sonja
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say that again? Slowly....
x-xThe_Stitchingsx-x
.C.O.P.

I wont leave a mark; I will leave my scar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011 08:34:47 AM »

I too am just starting out.

I'm currently working on one book of my son. I've chosen all the important events in his life, such as "first's" and whatnot. I pick only a few photos from each event and make it into a two page spread. It does take some time but if you take the time to organize your photos and supplies first, it cuts your time pretty much in half. You can also make an album based on just one event, such as a vacation. As far as all the photos from events and what not, I have them either in frames around the apartment or in just a plain photo album.

As far as designing a page, I usually lay out the paper, which I pick on the pictures, I want to use for the event, relavent stickers, and any other embillishments. I just play around until I get something I like. You can also go on to scrapbooking sites and download whats called 'sketches'. Theyre layouts of pages that are simplified so you are able to copy it with your own photos and whatnot. I usually do an entire page in one or two sittings but I do know some people who work on several pages at once. As far as collecting items, I put things like ticket stubs in a box with my scrapbooking stuff until I'm ready to work on that page.

I both buy letter stickers, letter stamps and handcut letters out using a craft knife. I use a ruler to keep everything in line, and using clear stamps helps alot. I wouldn't buy an expensive cutter until your sure your going to be using it quite a bit, just to make sure you get your money's worth out of it and its not just collecting dust.

Hope I helped some.

Myssi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{C.O.P. - Crazy, outspoken psycho}
TerraBella01

Crafting keeps me sane

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011 08:53:52 PM »

My advice would be to just go for it and follow your instincts.  I only scrapbook on and off but all ready you can see how my scrapbooking has evolved.  The first couple of layouts are mostly just colorful backgrounds with about 5 photos per page and some stamping for titles or very simple captions.  Then I did a couple of layouts following sketches from a scrapbooking magazine I picked up.  Yesterday did a layout that I am in love with.  I think it's closer to what most people consider to be "real" scrapbooking pages, but also has a bunch of doodles in the style of an art journal.  I didn't have many photos to use for the 2 page layout, so I had lots of room to experiment. It took a long time for me to complete it, but I'm so happy with how it turned out. 

You really don't need a lot of supplies for scrapbooking to make great pages. I see all these layouts in magazines that are chock full of embellishments and whatnot and that's really not my thing. You can also look around the home for little things to add to the pages. For my latest, it was a layout of one of my previous cats and I added his favorite feather toy along the edge for some color, used strips of cardstock and patterned paper to make my own embellishments, added a couple of pawprint stickers, and used a sharpie for decorating.   

For letters I use everything.  I have a couple sets of lettering stamps I use often...a larger sized set and a smaller one.  I also use lettering stickers occasionally, but not often.  I find that they're a waste of money since you can only get a few words out of each set then you're stuck with a bunch of random letters.  I do have a cricut to cut letters with, but I don't find that necessary either.  You can always hand draw letters, trace, cut them out with a hobby knife, use stencils, etc.  I don't usually bother being picky about having straight letters and just eyeball it. I feel its more organic and adds something to the pages.

For books...right now I have two going.  The first is just for my general life....pages of my cats, little trips or things I do on the weekend. The second is specifically for a trip I took to Australia for several months.  Since I have so many photos and went so many places while there, I figured it would be better to have a separate book.  I'll probably keep doing something similar too.  When I get married, I'm sure I'll have lots of photos and probably do a book for that alone, but keep updating the first one with random things.  Maybe make one for whatever kids I have for important things....and so on.

Also, I tend to want a lot of photos in my layout...maybe that makes my books more of a photo album than scrapbook, but whatever.  I find that a lot of layouts are too busy with embellishments, crazy amounts of paper and patterns and really distract from the photo(s).  You can really make great pages with some photos, a nice background paper and some captions.

This got a little long and I hope it makes sense.  Good luck with your scrapbooking Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivyPINK
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011 03:24:51 PM »

Ive been Scrapbooking for a long time here are some tips that might be helpful to you  Wink

Would you scrapbook all your pictures/events?
I definitely would NOT scrap ALL of your pictures.
I would choose a few of your FAVORITE pictures from each event and scrap those. If you scrapbook every single picture you have it could definitely be over whelming.
Another option is to create an opening layout one or two pictures youd want in the front page & scrapbook a layout
and then put the rest of your photos regular album style. I usually do this type of layout for a themed album like vacations.

how do you then build/design a page?
I do this a couple of ways if theres a picture I really want to scrapbook Ill pull that out first and then pick out the products that match or would go with the picture that inspires me  Cool
If Im making a themed page like for example Birthday.I will pull out specific birthday embellishments I want to use & then match the paper & stuff after.
I travel a lot & scrapbook a lot of travel layouts so I have a 12 x 12 box that I keep ALL travel scrapbook themed stuff in.
Like embellishments, paper, ephemera & stickers. Ill pull that box out when I work on travel pages  Cheesy

LETTERS where do you get them or how do you make them?
*I use to BUY a lot of stickers & I use to use them a LOT
But now, I have a die cut machine & thats how I cut my letters out now.
If you dont want to invest in a die cut machine
A couple economical ways to add alphabets to your pages is to
print fonts from your computer. Make a journaling box or print out your alphabets & cut it out.
Also, Stamps invest in a couple alphabet stamp sets  Smiley

Do you re-use letters from the same stickers then? I do re-use stickers from different sets and sometimes mix & match them to use them up. I use a lot of single letters as monograms on layouts & cards.

how do you get letters on the page to be straight?
This is the trick I use Lets say Im spelling HAPPY.. I pick out the middle letter in whatever word I want. So in this case the letter P I will then stick the rest of the letters backwards so P-P-Y and then A and then the H
Ive found its easier to line up this way

Another trick is to take out a ruler
Stick a tiny part of your letter on the ruler to help you figure out your spacing
And then take the ruler to your page and when you like where you have the letters just press it down
On your page.

I hope this was helpful  Grin
Goodluck! Scrapbooking is really rewarding BUT theres so MANY products out there I definitely understand how it could be overwhelming! Pick up a magazine from the bookstore & scraplift some layouts to get your mojo started  Grin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 03:38:09 PM by ivyPINK - Reason: added something » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonja_Amsterdam
Absolute beginner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011 12:44:15 PM »

A big 'thank you' to all for giving me so much information and share your experiences, you've been a great inspiration and help.

I love the idea of using a scrapbooked themed title page and then continue with 'regular' pages.

I've been making cards and calendar pages (for the grandparents, I gave them a blank calender and send them a monthly photopage of their grandson) and can really see the value in keeping your embellishment organized per theme.

I also realize that I should buy papers around the reoccurring themes in our live (gardening, sailing, visiting the zoo and parc) rather then just the pretty colours and patterns;-)

I have also rearranged the chest of drawers under my desk to have all my crafting tools close at hand rather than stashed away somewhere. It will make it easier to get started.

And yes, to do is to learn. I've already learned loads from just making a few cards and small lay-outs in my journal.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ccarcc
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011 07:02:30 AM »

I both buy letter stickers, letter stamps and handcut letters out using a craft knife. I use a ruler to keep everything in line, and using clear stamps helps alot. I wouldn't buy an expensive cutter until your sure
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sonja_Amsterdam
Absolute beginner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011 03:44:03 AM »

Thanks ccarcc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobynLCoburn
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011 12:32:01 AM »

I teach Beginner's Scrapbooking at Michaels Arts and Crafts stores. There should be at least once course offered every month in just about every Michaels store in US and Canada. The cost is a mere $US25 for all 4 2hour classes, and nothing else to buy unless you want to. There is probably a course near you.

You learn how to organize and choose your photos, matting techniques, color and design theory, how to title and journal, and how to use embellishments artfully as well as tips and tricks such as how to get your letters on straight without a hard to erase pencil line. I usually teach several ways to make custom flowers, which people enjoy.

The answer to single pages or whole albums is "it depends".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
richardm
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012 09:24:39 AM »

... a separate scrapbookalbum to hold your SB-pages/layouts? [1]
... start with the picture, add colours/papers and so on? [2]
... finish a whole page or work on it in stages [3]
... about letters, ... Doesn't that get expensive? [4]
... letters on the page to be straight? [5]...

1. Well, I usually pick say top 5 of a set of pictures.  If you are overwhelmed, start with only one. Smiley
2. Background should be lighter than picture's color mode. then add adornments, try putting others partially under the pic
3. I usually finish a page then continue to the next, then review what's to be added.
4. Try using the expensive letters as first letters of a word if you want to be frugal.
5. Let the letters be wacky, it adds to the "live" feeling.  <---  Wink ---<
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012 09:28:58 AM by richardm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Study: Wearing Sunglasses Makes You More Attractive
How to Cleanse Your Skin
Be Beautiful On A Budget
The Astonishing Differences in Beauty Standards Around the World
Why Do Women Shave Their Legs?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...