A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50's Inspired Ensemble for Toddler  (Read 6095 times)
Tags for this thread: vintage_inspired , toddler , pattern , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rossie
« on: March 25, 2012 08:12:27 PM »

Been at that sewing machine again... thought you guys might like this.  It's a 50's inspired outfit for my 2 year old, with fluffy petticoat, circle skirt, bolero and a veil clip.  I'm really happy with how it came together, and miss loves it too - she twirls and says in her babyish toddler voice, 'Imma PIN-SESS!' (good grief, another one...)

Anyone have any tips on hemming a circle skirt?  Cause I still can't bring myself to actually get in and do it.  Feel an awful lot like effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
frankeknitter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012 08:55:37 PM »

This is so adorable! Good job. Circle skirt hemming is worth the effort if you have a hemming tool, its a metal plate with a curved edge and a flat edge with inch markers. But I still cheat on hems whenever I can get away with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012 12:05:24 AM »

This is tres adorable!!!

I would also love tips on hemming on a curve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012 12:39:09 AM »

Gorgeous!!! Just gorgeous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012 03:38:37 AM »

Wow that outfit is amazing! I'd feel like a pin-sess too if I was wearing it.

The easiest way to finish a circle skirt is to just forget the hem and put bias tape over it, which can look nice on some dresses, especially if you're using a contrast, but on this I doubt you'd wanna do that.

Here's a really detailed tute for hemming a circle skirt, and it is a huge pain and takes forever and you never feel like you're doing it right, or at least I don't ever feel like I'm doing it right and end up ripping it apart about 20 times before I'm finished. http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/curved-hems

I'm gonna look into getting one of those hemming tools frankeknitter mentioned. They looked like they could really help and they're only about $13 at walmart, which with as much as I love doing circle skirts on my dresses I'm thinking it would be worth it.

Good luck on the hemming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcsladek
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012 05:19:50 AM »

Oh man, that flowered bolero is to die for.  Makes me start daydreaming on how to make a grown up sized one of my own.  Lucky little lady to have such a gorgeous ensemble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012 05:53:31 AM »

That is GORGEOUS!  Any tips on how you did the bolero?  Or was it just hours of hand stitching those flowers on?  She looks too cute!

I cheat whenever possible and use hem tape to hem circle skirts.  It can get spendy if it's for an adult size, floor length skirt, but even then I think it's worth it.  I either use actual hem tape or the narrow double fold bias tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012 09:32:10 AM »

Yes, I too would like to know how the bolero was constructed!  Your bebe looks too sweet for words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012 04:36:56 PM »

Thanks for all the kind comments! 

The bolero fabric was about $16/m, from Spotlight, an Australian craft store chain.  It is covered in lovely soft, ruffled flowers.  Most of the dimensional flower fabric you see in Spotlight is stiff plastic stuff.  This was the first time I'd found something so soft.  It came in a peach/salmon colour and the off white.  For dress fabric it was wide, so I bought 0.5m and had plenty leftover.   

As for the pattern, I drafted that one Cheesy  In a size 1 - 2 (toddler), you just re-size this onto a 5cmx5cm grid:

If you'd like more detailed instructions, you can find them on my blog.  There's a link in my signature Smiley

As for the hem... yeah, still feels like effort!  Usually I use one gathering thread, but looking at that link (thank you, ivoryh1632!!!), two gathering threads looks much more stable.  I will get to it.  Soon.  Yep.  Trying to convince myself here...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012 05:50:01 PM »

that is a spectacular outfit!
Thanks for the bolero tips.
Seriously, it sounds like effort but I would pin and handsew the hem, it would look lovely and I handsew at night watching tv, I barely even notice I am doing it.
( lol not sure how possible that is with a 2 year old I admit! I have almost totally forgetten when my kids where that age, wow!)
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Bragg or Tamari
What Is Bok Choy
How to Cook Rice in a Pot
Learn Which Thai Chili to Use
How to Prepare Pappadams
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...