A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's never too early to start getting ready for Halloween!  (Read 1529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: March 25, 2012 03:21:29 PM »

I just completed a new prop for the Jedi costume I've been working: the Jedi communicator. From all the research I've been doing online, it looks like the various communicators are somewhat the same but not all identical.

It's been a little while since I looked at the Rebel Legion's costume standards page for a generic Old Republic Jedi, so I gave that a quick check today.Which I was glad I did...I realized i need to pick up two more small belt pouches. I'm going to hold off on dying the one I have. It's kind of expected that you have some accessories, that aren't toys, to be a member.

Some of the pages I looked at for communicator inspiration and guidance were Kin-Char Bamin, the Grand Florida Alliance, and the Padawan's Guide (of course!). Fun Star Wars fact to share: did you know the communicators from Episode 1 were made from ladies Gillette Excel razors? They are super difficult to find now. I couldn't find one in any store, so I bought mine from a seller on eBay.

So here's what I used to make my communicator:
--1 pink ladies Gillette Excel razor
--Instant Krazy Glue, in the craft bottle
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in Aluminum
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in clear coat (You aren't going to use entire cans, it's just what I swiped from my husband's stash of goodies.)
--2 scrapbooking brads--unknown size of these, but they were part of the Craftster Flat Rate Paper Craft Supply swap
--2 nuts, from the garage here, the brads just happen to fit perfectly inside these
--assorted washers, I used four
--assorted flat pieces of metal, bought from a local Ace Hardware, I used 9 and don't even remember what they were called
--2 air valve caps from my bike (replaced with some new ones from Christmas)
--2 aluminum rivets, also from Ace Hardware
--tiny bit of red craft paint (for the end of the rivets)

In the interest of not overloading you with progress pictures, I'll just post three:

What I started out with.

Finished front.

Finished back.

More progress pictures can be seen http://amylynn98.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-step-closer-to-being-jedi.html. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012 12:56:14 AM »

That's an amazing change, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012 03:05:26 AM »

I have to admit, I clicked because the thumbnail made me go, "OMG that's that razor I loved so much that I can't freaking find anywhere!".   Roll Eyes  Sad but true.  I guess I should stop looking every time I go to the store.

Anyhoo, what you did with it is so cool!  I kind of feel like re-watching all the movies now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012 09:13:56 AM »

You would have thought that Gillette would have kept making them for a little longer. Even if they weren't selling well for their intended purposes, they were being bought for projects like this.

There's a cell phone/pager company (can't remember the name right now) that is still selling a certain pager belt clip. It became popular with the SW cosplayers because it was the same one the costume designers used as a light saber belt hanger for eps 1-3. Amazon actually listed it as an extra feature on the clip's page.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012 10:02:42 AM »

Re: the communicator: I KNEW IT!!! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012 05:00:59 AM »

I used to have that razor!  I thought I still did around here somewhere.  Went digging, looking.  Haven't located it so far, but I still have plenty of boxes to unpack. 

If I find it, I shall be doing one of these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ivy Boyd: My Week in Beauty Challenge
Alyssa Wallace: My Week in Beauty Challenge
AJ Schulz: My Week in Beauty Challenge
How to Apply Bronzer
Celebrate Earth Day with Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...