A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,959
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's never too early to start getting ready for Halloween!  (Read 1694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: March 25, 2012 03:21:29 PM »

I just completed a new prop for the Jedi costume I've been working: the Jedi communicator. From all the research I've been doing online, it looks like the various communicators are somewhat the same but not all identical.

It's been a little while since I looked at the Rebel Legion's costume standards page for a generic Old Republic Jedi, so I gave that a quick check today.Which I was glad I did...I realized i need to pick up two more small belt pouches. I'm going to hold off on dying the one I have. It's kind of expected that you have some accessories, that aren't toys, to be a member.

Some of the pages I looked at for communicator inspiration and guidance were Kin-Char Bamin, the Grand Florida Alliance, and the Padawan's Guide (of course!). Fun Star Wars fact to share: did you know the communicators from Episode 1 were made from ladies Gillette Excel razors? They are super difficult to find now. I couldn't find one in any store, so I bought mine from a seller on eBay.

So here's what I used to make my communicator:
--1 pink ladies Gillette Excel razor
--Instant Krazy Glue, in the craft bottle
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in Aluminum
--1 can of Rust-O-Leum Painter's Touch in clear coat (You aren't going to use entire cans, it's just what I swiped from my husband's stash of goodies.)
--2 scrapbooking brads--unknown size of these, but they were part of the Craftster Flat Rate Paper Craft Supply swap
--2 nuts, from the garage here, the brads just happen to fit perfectly inside these
--assorted washers, I used four
--assorted flat pieces of metal, bought from a local Ace Hardware, I used 9 and don't even remember what they were called
--2 air valve caps from my bike (replaced with some new ones from Christmas)
--2 aluminum rivets, also from Ace Hardware
--tiny bit of red craft paint (for the end of the rivets)

In the interest of not overloading you with progress pictures, I'll just post three:

What I started out with.

Finished front.

Finished back.

More progress pictures can be seen http://amylynn98.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-step-closer-to-being-jedi.html. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012 12:56:14 AM »

That's an amazing change, well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012 03:05:26 AM »

I have to admit, I clicked because the thumbnail made me go, "OMG that's that razor I loved so much that I can't freaking find anywhere!".   Roll Eyes  Sad but true.  I guess I should stop looking every time I go to the store.

Anyhoo, what you did with it is so cool!  I kind of feel like re-watching all the movies now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012 09:13:56 AM »

You would have thought that Gillette would have kept making them for a little longer. Even if they weren't selling well for their intended purposes, they were being bought for projects like this.

There's a cell phone/pager company (can't remember the name right now) that is still selling a certain pager belt clip. It became popular with the SW cosplayers because it was the same one the costume designers used as a light saber belt hanger for eps 1-3. Amazon actually listed it as an extra feature on the clip's page.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012 10:02:42 AM »

Re: the communicator: I KNEW IT!!! Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012 05:00:59 AM »

I used to have that razor!  I thought I still did around here somewhere.  Went digging, looking.  Haven't located it so far, but I still have plenty of boxes to unpack. 

If I find it, I shall be doing one of these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Hairstyle Tips for Short and Mid-Length Hair
Low Side-Part Hairstyles at the Badgley Mischka FW 2014 Show
Summer Hairstyles
How to Apply Volumizing Hair Powder
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...