A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
794 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tulle bustle for showgirl costume-need help  (Read 2385 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annanay
« on: March 25, 2012 02:07:00 AM »

I am doing my first showgirl costume and basically know what I want to be doing. However I can't seem to understand how much tulle I'm going to need and how to really sew it together. I know there are many different ways. But I want something like this:

There are some sites saying 8 yards, some saying 5 yards, and some not saying at all. I do want fullness in it, and I would like the pixie cut that this bustle has. I have done some costume work, but most has been changing outfits and such. Can anyone give some advice?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012 06:43:54 PM by photojenn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012 06:20:30 AM »

You need to figure out your pattern, and then figure out how your pattern pieces will fit onto your fabric, and if you know the width of your fabric, that should tell you how much fabric you need.  You may need to do some trial and error mock ups if you've never worked with gathering tulle before.

So first, you know you have 9 tiers (if you're following that picture).  You need to figure out how long each tier should be, and how wide.  If you're alternating colors like that, it makes it a bit easier to figure out, but you'll also need more fabric.

Say for instance your first tier is 30" long and twice as wide as your hip measurement (conservatively, you may want more fullness), and your top tier is about 8" long, and the same width.  The remaining tiers are going to each grow by approximately 2-3/4" (so your next one will be 10.75, the one after that 13.5, etc.)  So on a piece of sketch paper, write down the measurements of each tier, to help you stay organized.  If the width of your tier is equal to the width of your fabric, that's FANTASTIC.  That way, you just take the lengths and add them up, and that's how much fabric you need.  If you're built like me, though, and have wide hips, you'll probably need to cut the other way.  So the width of your pieces will be cut along the length of the fabric.  Does that make sense?  Like if you want each tier to be 70", you'd cut your fabric to be 70" wide, and then divide it into as many tiers as you can, using the lengths you figured out earlier.

It sounds really complicated, but I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
AmberKat
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012 05:11:22 PM »

Depending on how much like that tutu you want it to be, it should be pretty simple I think. That one looks like it has many layers, but they're all sewn to the band. I would figure out how full you want the bustle to be, and if you want it to be all one color, how long and how many layers. With the ends, to get that pixie look, you can just fold the tulle in halves and just keep folding until you get something manageable to cut across the bottom making the points.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Workout Routine
The Best Summer Beauty Tips You Should Use
4 Tips to Look Dynamite in Your Bikini
The 30-Something Guide to Gorgeous Skin
Best Of Beauty Products And Louboutin Sole Protectors
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...