A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,555
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spooky Haunted Gingerbread House!  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , haunted_house  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: October 11, 2011 02:31:47 PM »

(Tutorial pics at http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/10/diy-haunted-gingerbread-house.html)

Look, I generally don’t discriminate against holidays, but Halloween is hands-down the best holiday ever. Am I right, folks? Can I get an amen? When else can you dress like a crazy pirate, hack the crap out of a pumpkin, scare your visiting neighbors, and eat Mounds bars until you puke?* (*OK, fine. Maybe on Talk Like a Pirate Day. The point is that these holidays are few and far between.)

I love (love, love, love) Halloween. So this year, I decided to get the fun started extra early with a fabulous haunted gingerbread house. Read on for the spooky DIY details!...

I’ll admit it—I may have semi-cheated on this gingerbread house. My mom (whose birthday falls on the 31st, making her a huge Halloween fan as well) bought me a “DIY Halloween gingerbread kit” with the gingerbread pieces premade. If you’re short on time or wary of cutting and baking gingerbread pieces yourself, I’d recommend this prefab option. Otherwise, take a gander at my favorite homemade gingerbread recipe HERE:http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_a_gingerbread_house/. Now for the fun part—decorating!

TUTORIAL PICS AT http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/10/diy-haunted-gingerbread-house.html

1. First, make your frosting. Lightly whip together 4 egg whites until frothy. Gradually add 7 c. sifted powdered sugar. Add 2 TB lemon juice and mix on medium for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Your frosting should be the consistency of toothpaste—if it’s too thick, add one or two teaspoons of lemon juice. If it’s too thin, add several tablespoons of powdered sugar. Divide your frosting into 3 air tight Tupperware containers. Now is a good time to add your frosting coloring—I used Wilton’s gel icing colors in Moss Green, Orange (Red-Red plus Lemon Yellow), and Black. Mix each frosting to your desired color and seal tightly in the Tupperware (your frosting will harden very quickly if left without a cover). Assemble your house by piping orange frosting on the edges of your house pieces (I did this using a #6 round tip). Let dry at least 30 minutes.

2. While your house is drying, make some trees for your yard. I used 4 black chenille pipe cleaners and created a tree by braiding 3 pipe cleaners together for the trunk and then using the excess pipe cleaners as branches. I used balled up tissue paper, sandwich ties and a sharpie marker to create hanging tree ghosts (this was husband’s idea—thank you, husband!).

3. Mount your house and landscaping tree(s) on a large piece of cardboard. I used blue painter’s tape because I knew the base would eventually be covered with frosting. …Speaking of which—time to frost your base! I started by evenly spreading a medium layer of green frosting across the entire base, making sure to cover any tape. Immediately after spreading, I used my spreading knife to create a grass effect by pushing the knife into the frosting and then drawing it up. The frosting is fairly stiff and should create stiff, grass-like peaks.

4. Next, frost your roof using a thin layer of black frosting. While it’s drying, fill a decorating bag with the remaining black frosting. Using a #2 tip, decorate the roof with a scalloping and icicle effect. This is supposed to be a spooky house, so don’t worry about getting it just right! The wonkier the better.

5. Using your #2 tip, pipe a line of frosting across the top of the roof. Immediately place a line of candy corns (or other Halloween candy) in the frosting. You may need to steady the candy as it dries.

6. Window and door time! It’s always easiest if you pipe your windows and doors onto a piece of wax paper and affix them to your house once they’ve dried. I made a few pieces here using the #2 tip for my black frosting and a #1 tip for my orange frosting outlines. Let dry for at least an hour or until completely firm. Affix to your house with a few globs of frosting.

7. Time to decorate…use any fun Halloween candies to trim your house. I went for a jelly bean border around the house, some sixlet detailing, and some candy corn pumpkin patches in the yard.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 03:36:42 PM by Sisteroo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Creativic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012 02:04:15 AM »

This is so cool!!!!  Grin Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find a Jewelry Making Class
How to Choose Jewelry Making Supplies
How to Choose Jewelry Making Tools
How to Become a Professional Jewelry Maker
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...