A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charmed and Pinwheeled... Image heavy  (Read 814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Merripan

I quilt, therefore I am...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 23, 2012 09:30:02 AM »

A friend of mine works with a physical therapist/chiropractor who recently had a baby boy (like, this last week), and she put off making a quilt for so long that by the time the birth occurred, she was in a HUGE mess of worry, and finally looked at me and asked "Would you?"

Sure, I said, and headed off to the fabric store...  It was standing in the midst of the quilting fabric that it hit me - I have *NO* idea what this new mother wanted for a quilt...  Or liked - or didn't like. *chuckle* 

When asking my friend, she came back with "Creams, greens and browns..."  And then "Think yuppie 30-something organic soccer mom...  She wants all cotton, definitely baby-ish, but no marketed characters."

THIS helped a lot, so I got to wandering through the fabric and found the perfect combination for a quilt.

After it was pieced together as a pinwheel quilt...

I had to make a filler square, as I only had 4 patterns - which meant that it made 8 squares.

Done, with the edging and everything...

A close-up of the tie job I did...

The decorative stitch I did on the binding...  A few spots were a little warbled, but they'll smooth out in a washing or two...

While piecing all of this together, I got a charm packet from connectingthreads.com for $2...  I'd been curious about a charm packet, and figured for $2, I couldn't go TOO wrong, right?

The *softest* flannel I've ever felt came to me, and I decided that I needed to make a mini-quilt for the doctor to use while the baby is still itty-bitty...

The finished quilt - I actually put the quilt batting and the two sides all together, sewed around the edges and turned it all right side out, then hand-stitched the hole closed.

A close-up of one of the charm pieces - Fennic foxes! How cute is THAT!  Oh, and you can also see the machine quilt edging I did to hold everything in place...

Same backing as the other quilt, only a bit pieced together...  A peace print that's been pieced... Ha ha haha.... haha...  OK - bad pun, but hey! It looked cute. You can see a bit of the machine quilting I did on this one, too...  I decided to do a stitch in the ditch on this one, since it was so super small...

So, there you are - pinwheeled and charmed...

~L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and visit my Etsy shop for your custom kitchen needs! http://www.etsy.com/shop/merripan
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012 09:58:26 AM »

You are so kind. And the quilts are lovely, especially the itty bitty one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012 07:17:51 PM »

Those are great! I love the bright colors in the second one, and recongnize two fabrics in the first one (the monkey and the stripes) that I used in a baby quilt too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Nutella Pie Pops
How to Make Easter Bunny Bark
3 Easter Dessert Recipes with Peeps
How to Make Peeps Pops
How to Make Layered Peeps Crispy Treats
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...