A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dancing Couple - The Scrappies  (Read 484 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trompevenlo
« on: March 23, 2012 04:08:58 AM »

Hi everybody.

Not sure whether these qualify as art or crafts, so I am posting here. I have already received some encouraging remarks elsewhere and would be interested to see what the crafts community thinks.

Thanks for your friendly attention.

Dancing Couple

detail 1

detail 2

Youtube video: http://youtu.be/vtV4MLJDgG4

The Scrappies are inspired by everything you can find in a scrapyard: Old nuts and bolts, tin cans, pipes, coils, parts of ball bearings, and more.

Bronze figurines are traditionally made from molds and cast, but our process it very different. It all begins with a digital 3D design which is then used to build the physical model layer by layer from fine metal powders, without any intermediate steps or molds. This relatively new "Additive Manufacturing" or "3D Printing" process allows for the fine and sharp details which are normally not found on cast bronzes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012 06:06:02 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hurry, limited time only: 
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012 05:04:32 AM »

I've seen some videos about 3D printing and find it amazing.  The one you have on your deviantART board is somewhat different from what I've seen but still almost mind boggling.

This piece is very interesting and would be a hit with some of my family members who are woodworkers and metal workers.  The only thing that would make it better, in my not so humble opinion, is if you used actual scrap parts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012 05:13:28 AM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

trompevenlo
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012 08:53:59 AM »

I've seen some videos about 3D printing and find it amazing.  The one you have on your deviantART board is somewhat different from what I've seen but still almost mind boggling.
Thanks for checking that out.

Most 3d printing systems produce very light plastic items with a "cheap" touch-and-feel. This metal process is one of the few (semi-)affordable ones that produce more seriously crafted items.

A longer term goal would be to make garden-size sculptures, but that's still too expensive.

This piece is very interesting and would be a hit with some of my family members who are woodworkers and metal workers.  The only thing that would make it better, in my not so humble opinion, is if you used actual scrap parts.
Opinions vary for sure. I actually want them to show that mind-bending contrast between old, rusty iron and shiny bronze. Maybe the photos don't bring that feeling over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hurry, limited time only: 
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Where to Put Points and How Far to Drag Handles
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing a Heart Shape with the Pen Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with the Pen Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Comparing Vectors and Bitmaps
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Drawing with Vectors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...