A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visiting Austin for a week. Where should I go?  (Read 2546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nabbymac
« on: June 23, 2005 06:50:42 PM »

Hey Austinites (is that the right word? is that even a word?) I'm visiting your wonderful city next week and staying for a week. I've been to Austin many times, but haven't really done much shopping there. Since I will have some time to kill in between stuffing my face at Magnolia Cafe, Chuy's, Amy's ice cream,and Threadgill's  (you think I'm kidding, but sadly, I'm not) I would love your suggestions on places to shop (more boutique than mall), good flea markets, thrift stores, LYS's, etc. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." - Joe Versus the Volcano
Crafty kitten
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005 07:49:19 PM »

I'm not an Austinite, I'm a Houstonian, but I'm in the same situation as you! I'm only going for a weekend but I need ideas too. Help us, oh wonderful Austinites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxy nova
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005 08:14:15 PM »

hey!
i live in midland, but my sister went to school at ut, so i've visted austin a time or two. my favorite place to go shop was a funky little store in an old house called atomic city. here's a link to the address and phone number, etc.
http://austin.citysearch.com/review/10202380
i love it and it's really close to the drag which is another good place to shop 'cause they have a few good thrift stores and pretty good music shop (not the virgin store), oh, and i love this place to eat called shady grove that has a kitchy retro trailer-park feel.
http://www.theshadygrove.com/
anyway, i hope that helps. have fun on your trips! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I heard my mom say to her girlfriend, 'Any guy with feathered hair is *foxy*.'" --Bill Haverchuck
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005 08:31:22 PM »

you must go to South Congress... just ask whomever you are staying with. it is an entire street of independant stores. my favorite of these, hands down, is Parts & Labour!!! a store that only sells items handmade here in Texas... two (maybe more) of craftster's sponsors are sold there: naughty secretary club and sublime stitching. 

i promise you this store will make your trip, plus the gals that own/operate it are soo nice, im sure they will help you plan the rest of your trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
analorelei
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005 10:10:21 PM »

from a local born and raised austinite you have to first find a austin chronicle. you can find them for free at most restaurants, bookshops, grocery stores, etc. it's s not so much shopping but it list all the music venues, and pretty much anything to do around town (look for them on thursdays).  i don't have time to do links and all that jazz so here is a list of my favorites; uncommon objects(antiques and crap of all kinds), lucy in disguise(costume/clothing), blue velvet(vintage/thrift store), terra toys(kid toys), toy joy(big kid toys), room service(vintage/thrift store), waterloo records(music), emeralds(boutique/gift), creature's(boutique/gift), forbidden fruit(boutique/sex toys), edge (vintage/thrift-used to be called demin edge, so you might find it that way) paper place(gift/paper products), miller blue print(art), wildflower(organic stuff), fetish(shoes), therapy(clothes), flipnotics(coffee shop and vintage/thrift), cheapo's(new/used music), blackmail(clothes), oat willie's(smoke shop), grateful shed(smoke shop), sola(clothes), the gas pipe(smoke shop),  flashback(vintage/thrift). this doesn't even scratch the surface, but you probably won't have time to visit all these. a lot of them are grouped close together and near other similar stores. sorry about just giving you a list and no numbers, have fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveoregon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005 03:46:03 PM »

i also vote for waterloo records... it's a fabulous music store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coreisten
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005 10:05:19 PM »

you must go to South Congress... just ask whomever you are staying with. it is an entire street of independant stores. my favorite of these, hands down, is Parts & Labour!!! a store that only sells items handmade here in Texas... two (maybe more) of craftster's sponsors are sold there: naughty secretary club and sublime stitching. 

i promise you this store will make your trip, plus the gals that own/operate it are soo nice, im sure they will help you plan the rest of your trip!

The Chronicle is the key to the city. Grab one and don't let go.

A really good friend of mine sells her bottle cap necklaces there, also at big red sun and some other place. She is going to be in Elle girl and Teen Vogue, or someting like that. She was also in the news paper.

Mainly just hit Guadalupe Street and South Congress for vintage and novelty type things, go to I think Edge or Cream on Guadalupe and you can get this little green pamphlet called the vintage around town guide which will be a big help.

Sound on Sound (music) and Monkey Wrench books are great both right next to eachother on the North Loop.

The best resteraunt I've ever eaten at is called the Hyde Park Grille. It's on Duvall street a tiny bit out of the way but once you try the food you will see that it's completely worth it, you have to get the french fries if you go there, they were voted number 1 in austin, may I suggest the chicken fried steak if you arent a veg of any kind.

Buffalo Exchange is fantastic for a resale. They only accept things they know people will buy.

If you venture into Westlake a bit(a few miles outside fo downtown) you can find my favourite place to buy vintage jewlery and my prom dress called Cupidz Closet, plus they are completely non profit and all the money goes to charity.

Kerby Lane!!! Such good meatloaf and waffles. All night diner kinda place. There is one on Lamar and one on Kerby Lane.

Emos, Lazona Rosa, Stubbs, all have the best shows. Though my personal favourite is emos.

Alamo Drafthouse is a place you can go that is like a movie theater only they will serve you actaul food and what not like pizza and queso with real waiters. It's the basic idea of dinner and a movie, combined.

Of course Waterloo Records (Lamar)

My advice though is to park your car on either so co or guadalupe and just walk up and down and go into wherever catches your eye. Thats the best way, I hope i helped!

analorelei where are you from in austin? I'm from Lake Travis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nabbymac
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005 03:58:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! They all seem like great places to go, I will try to fit as many in as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." - Joe Versus the Volcano
ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005 08:30:02 PM »

Depends on what you're after but check out the thrift stores on So. Lamar -Goodwill and a Salvation Army and then there seems to be several clusters of them at almost every major intersection along Stassney.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lalalalucy
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005 08:13:15 AM »

When you're on South Congress (I'd start around Mary or Annie Street, north of Oltorf, and just start walking up one side and down the next...)  I recommend El Sol Y La Luna (1224 S. Congress) for lunch - mmm, chipotle cream sauce.

Across the street is the St. Vincent De Paul thrift store - a must-stop for any Craftster. Not only do they have fabulous vintage sheets (lovely yards of fabric), they have a whole section of sewing-related stuff, from patterns to measured yards of fabric. For a thrift store, they can be a little $, but worth it depending on the find.

For a guide to all things South Congress, check out the "SoCo" guide at the Chronicle (I know, the SoCo thing is silly, totally): http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Guides/SoCo

There is also a great big huge Salvation army on South-South Congress (south of Ben White on the west side of the street) that's not to be missed if you just really heart thrift stores.

Also - don't forget about South First street! For some reason, I love this South Austin street the most. From tons of terrific Mexican food places (Polvos and Little Mexico are my faves) to Roadhouse relics, Sabia (aromatherapy), tatoo shops and even The Unemployed Democrats store, South First is a unique place to spend a few hours (and inevitably, some cash).

For a fun start to your evening, see the bats at the Congress Avenue bridge at sunset - I recommend the Bat Cruise, a $8/person ride on Town Lake at sunset is beautiful. http://www.capitalcruises.com/

For great Cuban food, try Havana on 6th, and for Indian try the Clay Pit on Guadalupe. For Italian, the Tree House Grill on South Congress is lovely and romantic, Vinny's Italian Cafe on Barton Springs is pretty good food for relatively cheap, and a very cute atmosphere. On Sunday late morning, the Gospel brunches at Stubbs and Threadgills are lots of fun too -

That's it for me, South Austin is my specialty I guess. Of course there's so much to do all over the city. Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make French Rose-Raspberry Macarons
Easy One-Pot Lemon Curd Recipe
Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Croissant Recipe
Decadent German Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
"Nutella" Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...