A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to label quilt  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

md3line
« on: March 20, 2012 12:32:32 PM »

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on the quilting board for a long time.

I'm halfway through my first real quilt (I have a half-finished tester quilt made up of an old sheet but it was a total disaster, so it's been buried for good). My aunt is 8 1/2 months pregnant so I'm running out of time to make the baby quilt, although what I've done I'm happy with. I have the top done, now I just have to baste and sew it up, but I wanted to figure out how I'll label it in case I should do so before quilting.

How do you label them? I've seen lots of 'marker pen' signatures, as well as fancy embroidered or appliqud patches. I'd like something quite simple, and obviously washable. Hope you can help! I'll post pictures of the quilt as soon as I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JeanC
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012 02:41:29 PM »

I'm really fond of Printed Treasures (Sew On variety) as a base.  It comes in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of tightly woven off-white fabric bonded with a paper backing so it feeds thru an inkjet printer with no problem. It's available at JoAnn and elsewhere. 

I setup my label in a word processing document, set the print options to best quality and print.  Trim to size (adding seam allowance) before you peel the backing - then you can use the rest of the sheet next time.  You now have an unfinished edge label. 

NOTE:  This fabric is really hard to stitch by hand!  My solution is to take a 1 inch strip of the quilt or backing fabric and sew it all the way around the edge of the label like binding.  Press away from the label then fold under the sides that won't be enclosed in the quilt binding for a finished edge on the label.

When you're ready to bind the quilt, pin the label to the lower left corner of the back - again allowing distance for seam allowances.  Sew the label into the binding on 2 sides as you attach the binding.  Hand stitch the remaining 2 sides of the label and finish the binding.

BEFORE you wash the quilt, let the ink dry and heat set it with an iron.  I was rushing to finish a quilt recently and forgot that step.  The next day when I presented it as a gift there was the barest hint of a blob of color where all my text and graphics used to be. ;-(

Once heat set, the printing is quite durable.  I'm currently taking apart a quilt I've had on my bed for over 8 years because the back is falling apart even though the top is in good shape.  The label I just removed is somewhat faded but still very readable in spite of regular washing.

Good Luck.

== Jean ==
THIS ROCKS   Logged
md3line
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012 02:33:52 AM »

Thanks for the long, detailed answer. I had already seen this tutorial: http://www.quiltmaker.com/blogs/quiltypleasures/2010/07/a-quick-quilt-label-method-and-a-giveaway/

which is basically the same as you said, and I agree, it gives great results. I love how professional it looks. But a) the baby could be born any day, and I would have to order the printable fabric, not knowing how long it would take to arrive and b) it's not cheap, and I would rather not spend even more money on quilting until I know it's something I really will stay interested in. I've already bought so much stuff! (e.g. rotary, cutting mat, quilting ruler)

Does anybody know of the best fabric markers? Any other methods?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012 08:54:40 PM »

Rather than the 7/8ths thing, I break out my time/money/quality triangle, and go with time and quality for a change. I up the measurement to the whole inch, and then trim back down - I find it goes MUCH faster and is MUCH more accurate when the final cut is made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012 06:44:09 PM »

Micron pigment pens are what I and many others in my guild use to label quilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
#Trends: Stripes From Casual Chic To Glam
Star Style Crush: Freida Pinto
Everything You Need to Look Chic During Music Festival Season
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NYTrendyMoms
Wear Leather This Spring For Less
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...