A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Milk and Dark Chocolate Easter Tree!  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: March 19, 2012 11:13:51 AM »

I thought I was being clever last week when I created this very real looking faux chocolate Easter display while Husband was away on a business trip. (Yes, he tried to eat a wood bunny when he arrived home, and yes it was funny). Turns out, the joke's on me. I salivate every time I pass the living room, and usually end up helping myself to the leftover Valentine's chocolates I hid from myself last month. This chocolate-themed Easter display is going to be the death of me. If you're a masochist like I am, and need to gain five pounds before Easter, read on to find out how to make your own chocolate Easter display...

Tutorial pics at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2012/03/milk-dark-chocolate-easter-tree.html

I tested a boat-load of painting techniques to get the most decadent milk and dark chocolate effect, and the best result also ended up being the easiest.

For milk chocolate effect:
1. Buy or make some papier-mch eggs (I got the medium and small eggs from Hobby Lobby)
2. Spray paint with five or six layers of Krylon Leather Brown Gloss paint. Allow 30 minutes of drying time between layers.

For dark chocolate effect:
1. Mix black and brown paint until you get an almost-black hue. I used Folk Art Enamels Licorice paint and Ceramcoat Dark Brown acrylic paint.
2. Give your papier-mch eggs two thick coats.
3. Spray or paint the finished eggs with a clear lacquer to get that satiny chocolate sheen that makes your mouth water. I used Minwax Clear Polycrylic Protective Finish in satin finish (gloss was too "shiny").

And finally:
Hot-glue fishing wire to the eggs, and hang on your Easter tree.

I purchased my easter tree from Save-On-Crafts.com, and the faux chocolate bunnies in-store at Gordmans. The cute cream-colored satin bows on the bunnies necks are from the 1/4" satin ribbon collection at Walmart.

Other pics at: http://www.sisteroo.com/2012/03/milk-dark-chocolate-easter-tree.html

A very delicious Easter to you all!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012 11:49:22 AM by Sisteroo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012 03:32:17 PM »

It's very striking with the white/brown contrast. I love the way they really do look like chocolates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
JLVerde
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012 11:33:36 AM »

Tasty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind The Scenes With Courtney Love
LRIA Exhibition Pop Bang Art Timelapses
How Jimmy Gownley Draws Amelia
How to Draw a Sabertooth Tiger
How to Draw a Dodo Bird
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...