A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No Poo Questions  (Read 2625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012 04:40:48 PM »

1-What is soapnut?
2-cranberry pomegranate conditioner sounds ah-maz-ing, I really need to expand my EO collection.
3- If you can find one in your price range, I really would suggest investing in a water softener, not just for your hair but really helps with dry skin issues. I swear I use about twice as much lotion now than I did at my old place because of hard water.

Soapnuts:http://www.crunchybetty.com/from-soap-nuts-to-liquid-natural-nontoxic-cleaning
 http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-mother-of-all-soap-nuts-recipe-resources
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
ivoryh1632
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012 12:09:40 AM »

Thanks. That's crazy, who'd have thought there'd be a fruit that was a magical all-purpose cleaner. Looks like they're pretty cheap too. I'm definately gonna have to find some and try them out. Kinda excited to try the laundry detergent, my skin get so finikey and certain times of the year even my standard of tide and downey makes me break out in hives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012 11:21:21 AM »

Homemade laundry detergent is amazing if you have cranky sensitive skin. My daughter has keratosis pilaris and it has almost nearly gone away since I stopped using commercial detergents. I also use a mixture of diluted white vinegar/essential oils as a fabric softener (put it in the rinse cycle) and that is great too :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
ivoryh1632
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012 08:28:49 PM »

Thanks for the tip!

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with me, my doctor says the hives are related to my asthma but I swear its like I'm allergic to my own sweat. So in the summer when its hot out I'll break out real bad and then it pretty much just doesn't go away until the weather gets better. So maybe going all natural in the laundry will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012 07:42:01 AM »

Trying to stop short of giving medical advice since this isn't the appropriate forum for that... but have you considered doing an elimination diet? Google that lol... just for kicks. In the summer (especially if you're outside a lot) the sun can trigger excess sebum production. One of the great things about the oil cleanse method is that it helps your skin balance itself and naturally regulate that sebum. Another thing you could try is exfoliating a couple times a week with baking soda. It's a fine grain, so it's not harsh on your skin, but it is really effective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012 07:51:03 AM »

I think I got this thread mixed up with the other one about acne and not flooding the sink lol... anyway for the record and to bring it back on track, I just did a baking soda wash/vinegar rinse this morning. I'm trying to get to the point of only washing my hair with shampoo once a week, on Sunday. I previously had gotten to the point of washing every 3-4 days, but I want to extend that even further. So this morning I was looking at it, thinking "do I want to deal with the grease and just slick it back into a pony tail again?" hmmm no. So I put maybe a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup or two of hot water (I wasn't really measuring) and let it sit for a few minutes. When I could tell it was thoroughly dissolved, I poured if over my hair, massaged it around, left it for maybe 5 minutes, massaged it some more, rinsed it out, then did the vinegar.

After all is said and done, once my hair dried, I was really surprised to see how much the oil actually seemed to be gone from my scalp! Or at least it's distributed more evenly and is not apparent! Whatever the case, I was really pleased with the results. When I had tried to go no-poo before, I just dumped dry baking soda on my wet hair and tried to scrub it that way. I think dissolving it was really the key! Even with our hard water, my hair doesn't seem overly dry (although I do think that's also due to the fact that on Sunday when I washed it I did the coconut oil/honey/grapeseed oil deep conditioning treatment thing) and seems to have more volume.

I'm really encouraged now, so hopefully I can keep doing this more often! If it keeps working, I'll eventually try to do commercial shampoos less and less, basically just whenever I need to wash products out of my hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
SkyWookiee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014 09:39:15 AM »

I quit using shampoo two or three weeks ago, and haven't had much difficulty so far. But I don't want to use baking soda so I just use water and now my hair smells of secondhand smoke. Is there something that gets the smell out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My homepage
My DeviantART
My Pinterest

"Skywookiee always has mad crafting skills" - whenindoubtsew
ivoryh1632
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014 10:24:55 PM »

smoke smell is pretty strong, im not sure you'd be able to get it out with anything natural. you might want to try using apple cider vinegar. i'm not sure about hair, but i know in other cleaning uses, in can neutralize odors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: Learn Throwing
Pottery Making: How Does Glaze Firing Work
Pottery Making: How Does Bisque Firing Work
Pottery Making: Useful Tools
Pottery Making: Learn Trimming
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...