A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No Poo Questions  (Read 2733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ivoryh1632
« on: March 19, 2012 04:55:58 AM »

I'm looking into the whole no shampoo thing, mostly because I've heard it makes your hair better and less greasy than because of the chemical thing. I know a lot of people on here are no poo so I was wondering if you guys coul help me out with some questions.

1- When I'm going through that transition period and I'm gonna have the super nasty greasy hair, can I use a natural shampoo or baby shampoo or the baking soda wash every day or every other day to get rid of that oil buildup or does that defeat the purpose because its still taking the oils out of your hair? I just have REALLY oily hair, like if I take a shower in the morning, and I want to wear my hair down to go out that night I have to wash it again because its already oily. The longest I've went without washing is about a week when I was sick with swine flu and couldn't get out of bed, my hair was so nasty it left a grease stain on the pillow case. And my hair gets smelly when it gets greasy too so the thought of letting the grease build up for 2-3 weeks before it goes away is pretty much horrifying for me.

2- I dye my hair quite often, I'm assuming not having to wash your hair every day is going to help they dye last longer but is the dye going to mess with the new natural state of my hair and cause it to go crazy? I also read on one website that the dye didn't stay in this one chick's hair unless she shampooed it first. Does anyone have any experience with this? And I'm not planning on using any sort of natural henna dye. I use real dye, the good stuff not cheapy walmart box color (my sister does hair so I can usually talk her into doing it for cheap) so its salon quality but by no means natural. I also bleach my hair quite often and use the crazy colors (blue, green, etc) too, which is a different kind of dye than regular hair color.

3- I know everyone says that when you go no poo you don't need to use any styling products because your hair magically keeps any style, and I usually don't use product that often anyway. But if I'm going through the trouble of doing my hair up all cute it generally means I'm going out, which means dancing, which means sweating profusely which means that no matter how natural my hair is, I'm gonna need half a can of hair spray to keep it up and looking good. So my question is, will the baking soda and ACV get out any product I have in my hair? It seems I'd need a real shampoo for that. A few years ago I got a realy bad really short haircut which prompted me to wear a faux-hawk a few times and I needed to wash my hair numerous times to get all the product out so I dont' see how baking soda and lemon juice is gonna be strong enough.

4- I myself do not smoke but most of my friends do, which means when we go out I spend half the night out on the patio with all the smokers and come home reeking of smoke, the smell gets into my hair and I have to wash it a few times to get the smell out. Again, is baking soda, ACV and lemon juice gonna be strong enough to get all that nasty ashtray smell out of my hair?

Sorry for all the questions but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. It seems that everyone that does the no poo thing does the 100% all natural hippy thing (I don't mean that in a bad way, I know some people get offended by being called a hippy) and these aren't issues for them.

Thanks for any help you may have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012 06:32:36 PM »

I'm doing the sorta-poo thing with castile soap mixes. I tried baking soda but I didn't like how it made my hair feel. I also missed the good smell and girly lather

I'm now trying the Crunchy Betty coconut milk and castile recipe...I LOVE how it lathers!

You can add essential oils to scent it more...and I use an apple cider dilute rinse and leave it in. Conditions wonderfully!

My hair is really fine and flat most of the time.

You might have better luck with BS since your an oily hair type. Read the No Poo livejournal thread-its got TONS of resources.

My only complaint right now is that I get "instant dandruff" that I don't believe is dandruff when I do this routine. I used an organic shampoo for a bit that I bought and I didn't have this problem. Trying to trouble shoot.

I would say my best advice is that it's like a personal lab experiment, what works for you will be a process to learn through trial and error.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
ivoryh1632
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012 10:28:28 PM »

Thanks, I'll check out the livejournal. I know I'm definately up for some exparimentation, which is probably why I've been avoiding trying it. And I'm also not looking forward to getting rid of the girly lather and good smelling shampoo. I've got a descent collection of essential oils that I love but nothing compares to that shampoo smell ya know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl1000100
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012 12:39:51 PM »

I have thick, curly, frizzy hair and I rarely use shampoo.  But I do condition 3-4 times a week.  When you say you are no poo, are you also going without conditioner?  Just wondering. 
My hair has looked so much better since I stopped shampooing every time I wash it but I don't think I could give up my conditioner or anti-frizz gel.  I'd never be able to get a comb or my fingers through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012 09:16:58 PM »

Ew I didn't think about the no conditioner aspect of it either. My hair's not curly by any means (I'm the only one on both sides of my family that can't get any kind of curl out of my hair  Sad ), but its still a tangled mess if I don't use conditioner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012 11:24:39 AM »

1- When I'm going through that transition period and I'm gonna have the super nasty greasy hair, can I use a natural shampoo or baby shampoo or the baking soda wash every day or every other day to get rid of that oil buildup or does that defeat the purpose because its still taking the oils out of your hair?

2- I dye my hair quite often, I'm assuming not having to wash your hair every day is going to help they dye last longer but is the dye going to mess with the new natural state of my hair and cause it to go crazy? I also read on one website that the dye didn't stay in this one chick's hair unless she shampooed it first. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3-will the baking soda and ACV get out any product I have in my hair?

4- is baking soda, ACV and lemon juice gonna be strong enough to get all that nasty ashtray smell out of my hair?

Sorry for all the questions but I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. It seems that everyone that does the no poo thing does the 100% all natural hippy thing (I don't mean that in a bad way, I know some people get offended by being called a hippy) and these aren't issues for them.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Ok so before I address your questions, let me clarify: I have tried the no-poo thing, and I couldn't do it. I tried for almost 3 months, and never got past the "transition phase". I couldn't stand the way my hair looked and felt. So maybe my response is a little jaded. But it seems there are plenty of people extremely happy with it, so my final judgement was that it works for some, and not so much for others.  

1 - I use baby shampoo pretty frequently, and it does work most of the time. I also use castille soap occasionally. I really want to try (see link below)
http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-ready-for-no-poo-try-sorta-poo-with-coconut-milk-and-castille
You have to be discriminating though, most baby shampoos still have sulfates in them (which, if you're trying to be all natural and stuff, you want to avoid). One that I've found that doesn't is the CVS generic brand baby shampoo. But get "Baby Wash" instead of shampoo, the only difference in the ingredients is that the "shampoo" has orange and yellow dye where the "wash" doesn't. And the wash costs less per ounce. It does change the ph of your hair though, so you'll want to research the vinegar rinse thing and probably do that as well.

2 - the reason your hair gets washed before a professional dye job and not before a home dye job is because there needs to be a slight buffer of natural oils. This buffer has several functions: it protects your scalp from irritation, minimizes damage to the hair shaft from the chemicals, and prevents your skin from getting stained by the dye. (Your sister is probably familiar with this.) Pre-color shampoos used in salons are very mild, usually sulfate free, and are used only to remove excess product that may be built up without removing too much of the natural oils from your scalp. As to how it may affect a dye job, I would only venture to guess that the effect will be that since you have really oily skin you may want to hold off on any dye jobs until after you've acclimated fully so that the natural oils are distributed evenly from root to tip. Also, commercial shampoos with detergents fade dye so if you're avoiding those your color should actually last longer.

3 - I too use a good amount of product fairly often, and in my experience nothing really gets that out but actual detergents. So I resorted to a few different solutions. For one I shampoo less often in general, which cuts down on the amount of grease your skin produces. then at the beginning of the week (when I want my hair to look fresher/cleaner) I use a commercial shampoo, and once a week in the middle I'll use the baby shampoo or castille soap. If I end up not using products that week, I'll skip the commercial shampoo. I feel like it's a good compromise.

4 - ok so the smoke smell issue: it's probably actually not your hair that is soaking up the smell so much as the product ON your hair. So refer to #3 for this. It is said that acids are good for ridding of smells, so the lemon juice or vinegar may work, but you're still going to have the issue of the products.

Some other things to consider:

If you have hard water, the minerals in the water will react with real soap (ie castille) to create soap scum that will leave your hair waxy/greasy and static-y. Also, even if you don't have hard water, if you don't rinse all the soap out of your hair before the vinegar rinse, you will trap that soap in your hair which will give the same result. I live in the city (Chicago) so this is another reason why this method doesn't work well for me.

IMO... The whole idea that going no-poo makes your hair easier to style, or that it "magically keeps any style" is a load of BS. If anything, it's because of the built up oil in your hair, which really only works for a few hairstyles... like say the pompadour.

One last thing: I totally feel you on missing the nice girly smells and stuff. That's where the compromise comes in... you can scent your own stuff! CVS Baby Wash (or unscented castille soap) + essential oils = smelly smelly heaven.

Good luck, I am looking forward to hearing more of how it's going for you!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012 11:37:15 AM by tr3kkie9rl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
ivoryh1632
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012 08:56:01 PM »

Thanks for your input. Its actually kind of nice to know that it doesn't work for some people, I get skeptical of things that seem to work out perfect for everyone that tries it, ya know?

I am living in an area with really hard water and judging by the nice crusty formations on the shower head, I don't think this house has a water softener, so its good to know that's gonna cause problems. I may wait to try anything until I move.

I talked to my sister about this stuff and of course she started going off about how no poo is for hippies that already have dreadlocks so that's why it works for them. Which I actually found funny because she only washes her hair about once a week so that the purple dye in her hair will last longer, and I think the only reason her hair's not super oily is because the can of hairspray she puts in it every day soaks up her oils.....ok that may not have any basis in real science but its my theory  Tongue

She also said that baby shampoo's bad for your hair because it has wax in it. I know wax is bad for your hair cuz it just covers the hair making it feel soft but not letting any nutrients in or anything, but I haven't actually checked any baby shampoo to see if this is true. Personally it doesn't make sense to me because baby's hair is so fine I would think the wax would weigh it down and you'd be able to feel it on the hair and every baby I've ever been around, their hair doesn't feel like that.

Honestly right now I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm super sick of my hair in general. I'm trying to grow it out cuz I miss doing fun up-do's but I only wear my hair up when I go out so its driving me crazy the rest of the time. And since its longer than its been in quite some time I feel like every little thing's weighing it down and the shampoo I usually use isn't doing the job any more and neither are any of the backups I have in my stash. But when I figure something out I'll let you know what I end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012 11:15:30 PM »

I also found info on soapnut shampoo....basically use the boiled water of soapnuts to wash. Supposedly it stings if it gets in your eyes so be careful if you try it...I'm gonna soon.

Sadly, my homemade shampoo is inferior...I am fairly certain it's my hard water from Lake Erie. I thought about investing in a shower softener but spending the money on it sort of defeats the purpose of making my shampoo-to save money!

I have tried the Soapworks shampoo/conditioner bar...its working pretty well. I then use a homemade ACV and homebrewed conditioner that I scented with my soapmaking fragrance oils. My current one is cranberry pomegranate...yum! I then follow it up with an African American tea tree scalp oil treatment rub on the scalp to reduce my scalp itchiness. Works well so far!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
ivoryh1632
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012 01:35:55 AM »

1-What is soapnut?
2-cranberry pomegranate conditioner sounds ah-maz-ing, I really need to expand my EO collection.
3- If you can find one in your price range, I really would suggest investing in a water softener, not just for your hair but really helps with dry skin issues. I swear I use about twice as much lotion now than I did at my old place because of hard water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012 02:35:57 PM »

I talked to my sister about this stuff and of course she started going off about how no poo is for hippies that already have dreadlocks

she only washes her hair about once a week so that the purple dye in her hair will last longer, and I think the only reason her hair's not super oily is because the can of hairspray she puts in it every day soaks up her oils.....ok that may not have any basis in real science but its my theory  Tongue

She also said that baby shampoo's bad for your hair because it has wax in it.

I'm laughing so hard right now... for the record you are actually right about hair spray soaking up oil. Check this out:
http://www.wisebread.com/14-effective-grease-and-oil-stain-removal-tips

Also, while many baby shampoos DO contain wax or parabens, that's not what makes them "drying". And the CVS generic I use is paraben-free if I remember correctly. It's actually because it's very alkaline (a component of the "no-tears" feature), so to restore the ph balance of your hair is why you would need to use a vinegar rinse afterwards. I personally don't like the way my hair feels as much after baby shampoo even with vinegar rinse though.

And yeah ... growing it out can be a hassle. I went from a short pixie cut 5 years ago to almost mid back length now, but there were so many many times I wanted to chop it all off again! But hang in there :-) I love having long hair again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Crop Top
Back To School: Send Your Kid Back to School in Style
Back To School: 4 Hot Looks For the Fall Semester
The Hottest Celebrities on the Red Carpet
Recommended Clothes for a Beach Holiday
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...