A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upper thigh/crotch tears - help  (Read 1426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2012 10:27:14 PM »

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has this problem. Undecided Every. single. pair. of pants I have owned in my young adult life has met its end to tears in the upper thigh/crotch area. Now, I will say that they last longer if they fit correctly, but that's a different issue entirely. The pairs that do fit will almost always meet the same fate, too, just not so quickly. The majority of the damage has to do with the friction created by my upper thighs since I'm curvaceous & they tend to touch/rub when I walk.

So, my questions are as follows:

How to you repair these? I've been doing a wide & dense zig zag over the tear itself & sewing a patch behind it (a costuming technique I was taught), but the patches tend to chafe a touch.

Better yet, any ways to prevent them? If they fit, they take longer because they're not stretched so much in that region when I sit (I don't tend to sit like a lady, lol), but they still have to deal with the friction. I've debated doing a, what is it called, saddle maybe?, of fabric on the inner side that just creates a second layer but I'm not sure if that would prevent this particular issue or how to go about it.

Any help is welcome & greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Blaceyda
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012 06:02:13 AM »

I have similar problems - it's one of the reasons I started sewing. Right now, my jeans are in an inbetween state. They are wearing thin, and I know it's only a matter of time before they tear. I was planning to just zig zag stitch, but I hadn't thought about the issue of chafing. I think I might try satin patches, maybe done with very soft thread - but this is just theoretical, I don't know yet how it would bear out in real life!
I'm interested to hear if anyone has good, working solutions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012 10:49:46 PM »

I haven't been wearing pants that much recently... but I read somewhere about how they put very soft suede in the seats of horse or bike riding pants in a big triangle like shape. (fold leather, cut triangle with fold at bottom) They sew the shape into the seat of the pants with the seams far enough out to be comfy in.

It seems like it might work in jeans too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012 05:41:56 PM »

I also have this issue.  While I don't have any suggestions to prevent  or fix it (other than patching it), I do tend to buy heavier weight denim so my jeans last longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
GoblinofHa
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012 08:57:54 AM »

I use a piece of denim as a patch. That way it feels more or less the same as jeans w/o a patch. Haven't found a way to prevent it though. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
Easy Monkey Bread Recipe
Glow-In-The-Dark Ice Cream
How to Make a Sweet Cranberry Cobbler
How to Make Classic Tiramisu
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...