A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creating a pattern  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnynerd
« on: March 18, 2012 06:39:22 PM »

Hello all!
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on creating my own embroidery patterns. I know silhouettes are easy but what about pictures with lots of color? Are there websites I can go to to create a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap anyone?

I may not know everything, but I do know a lot.
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012 10:08:28 PM »

Hello!

I've just recently embarked on my first big self-designed, full color embroidery piece, but it worked out fairly similar to a silhouette design. For me the process was: research ideas, design/visualize, research/determine stitches, transfer, stitch. I didn't use any programs or sites to design it, just Google images, a printer, paper & pencil. Though I know there are sites for cross stitch, I don't know any great ones off hand, but plenty of people on here have mentioned good ones. Here's one I found, though hopefully other people will pop in with other/better ones.

Once I knew what effects I wanted, a big step for doing the full color was researching filling stitches to figure out which could best work the effect in that I wanted to fade colors & move around curves, so I'm using a loose long & short stitch. I have about 5 stitch dictionaries bookmarked just to figure out which stitches will give me the best effects.

You could also try crayon tinting for larger areas of color, there are some awesome examples here on Craftster of  using that technique for large areas of color. Like this -or- like this

Hopefully that helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
yarnynerd
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012 06:55:23 AM »

Thank you! That is really helpful. I think what I'm really asking is how do I do shading with thread and pick the right colors. I've never been very good at this when drawing and I'm afraid my stitiching will end up disastrous like my drawings did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap anyone?

I may not know everything, but I do know a lot.
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012 07:19:40 AM »

I'm using mostly pairs, sometimes trios of colors. Black & dark gray, ecru & white, three yellows, three browns. I just went in & started playing with color combos at the store, the nice thing with DMC that I noticed is that they will name colors in series, like my yellows are "Lemon," "Pale Lemon" & some other "Lemon" name. That made it really easy to pair them up together. To be honest, just trust your gut, if two colors look nice together, go with them, it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't look exactly as you imagined it, at worst it's a learning experience or you can pluck it out & trade it for another color if you really feel the need to.

For shading, I think the main ways of doing it are either staggering out the stitches with one color & staggering in the new color or trading out colors in your working thread. Here's a good example of staggering the colors at Needle N Thread. The other thing is silk shading, where you start with X number of strands of one color & slowly change out the color one thread at a time, so if you start with 3 threads of black, the next section is 2 strands of black & 1 strand of gray, then 1 strand of black & 2 strands of gray, finally 3 strands of gray.

And don't be afraid of doing it wrong, like I said, learning experience! It's only a disaster if you think of it as a disaster. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Format Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Flash Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Delete Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Auto Mode Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...