A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,241
Currently Running With Scissors:
818 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mama's got a brand new bag!  (Read 14563 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2012 08:49:58 AM »

So... I finally finished another bag. Phew - I tell ya, this figuring things out as you go along thing is tough!

A while ago I posted my first ever bag - the ulti-mom bag. Which is awesome and I have been using it non-stop since the day I made it, but let's be frank - I'm a MOM and sometimes MOM's need to carry a LOT of stuff. Like if we're going out with the kiddos for a whole day, we need to carry lots of extraneous things, like granola bars, sippy cups, napkins, safety pins, water bottles, extra pairs of kid pants, diapers, etc etc etc. SO - following the basic idea of my ultimom bag (the bag with 3 compartments, which is awesome and I love it, and all of my bags from now on require that) I made a few changes and came up with this!

Isn't that fabric glorious? Ikea baby!
It's significantly larger than my previous bag, and a slightly different style. We're going to say it's a bit... dressier.

It still has 3 compartments, but this time I made the center section zip-up - which is great because that's where I'm going to keep all the little loosey-goosey things that tend to roll around in the bottom of a bag.

And, to combat some of that loose-item-ness, I made a couple of cute pouches. One is holding all the lovely medications that I carry around (What, you mean you DON'T carry allergy meds, muscle relaxants, pain meds, migrane meds, cough drops, and antacids with you all the time? Who ARE you?) and the other is holding things like lipstick, lip balm, deodorant and mascara.

Lastly - I knew I wanted to do something different for the straps, and even though I'm not totally happy with them (they may get changed out eventually) because I a) couldn't find cheap enough vinyl in the right colour so I had to make and stuff (UGH) those stupid straps that are currently on there. and b) could only find plastic curtain grommets so those are DEFINITELY temporary until I can find metal ones - it's going to have to do for now, because I just can't wait to use this bag!

Anyways here's a pic of the grommet/straps

Eh-voila!

C&C totally welcome and much appreciated.
Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

*LOVE to swap ATCs, and tw/inchies! PM Me!*

Jewels: www.bypatriciabrowne.weebly.com
Le blog: www.talkandtealeaves.blogspot.com
shop: www.etsy.com/shop/PLBrowne
sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012 08:53:23 AM »

First of all I am now in love with that fabric!! I'm heading to ikea tomorrow and you know I'll be looking for it. And the bag itself is awesome - it looks like you'll be ready to tackle anything with that. The pouches are an awesome accessory too. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012 12:48:36 PM »

Both the fabric and the bag are beautiful. You did an excellent job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
raewolo
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012 01:01:34 PM »

Love it! I was only recently that I found out Ikea had fabric, and they are such pretty fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012 01:19:25 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Yes! The Ikea fabrics are fabulous. A bit heavier weight, but perfect for bags, and the patterns are so graphic and fun. I bought another one while I was there, a nice bright blue with leaves printed on it. I'm thinking of making an overnight style of bag, as soon as I figure out how on earth I might make it!

This bag was fun though because it gave me an opportunity to try and make things a little differently than my first bag. But that's how you learn I guess! I just keep getting so much inspiration from all the wonderful craftspeople here on Craftster!

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us for the  NEW 2012-2013 Year of Homemade Gifts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413499.0

wyrillco
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012 06:24:44 PM »

Love it! 

Have you had any luck finding metal grommets of that size?  I'm looking for them myself! 

And Ikea has the best fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012 06:43:15 PM »

No luck finding the metal grommets yet. I've seen a couple online, but I'm a little leery of purchasing from Hong Kong, seems to be the only place. But I may bite the bullet and just order them because I can't find them anywhere else. Even Fabricland only carries plastic, and they sell EVERYTHING to make your own curtains and such. So disappointing. Anywho - I'll let you know if I find anywhere, but I think online is my only option.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012 12:46:25 PM »

LOVE this!  So pretty!  <sigh>  I really wish I could order fabric from IKEA over the internet, but alas and alack, that is not to be.  The closest store is 3.5 hours from me, and I just can't justify that kind of trip just for fabric. 

Great job on the bag! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teamama

One Crafty Mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012 01:33:04 PM »

Padester - 3.5 hours!? That's practically unconscionable! No one should have to be that far from an Ikea.

Thanks for the compliment too! I've had quite a few comments on the bag while I'm out and about, and I have to admit, as much as I didn't initially like the straps, having the fact that it's fabric stuffed with polyfill - they're REALLY comfy. So I'm probably going to keep them.

Tea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshtonagoL
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012 02:51:36 PM »

That is amazing!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Handmade Jewelry
Homemade Jewelry Gift Ideas
Getting Started Making Jewelry
Essential Jewelry Making Tools
Ideas for Beaded Necklaces
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...